Both batteries drain in 30 seconds from launch- suggestions?

Problems of AR Drone 1.0, Freeflight 1.
belrik
Newcomer
Drone Type: AR.Drone

Both batteries drain in 30 seconds from launch- suggestions?

Post by belrik » 06 Oct 2013, 02:13

I took my AR.Drone 1 out yesterday after dusting it off and charging the batteries. First I upgraded the firmware (which may have been my mistake) and then tried to fly....

The copter was bobbing up and down and almost instantly gave me a low battery warning. Figured a bad battery so swapped in the other one, same story. Just around 30 seconds of flights and then emergency landing.

I tried again today after another charge, but got the same result. Two batteries and neither flying from more than a few seconds before warning of 0% charge.

I've ordered another battery but I've read some posts and I'm really concerned that the new firmware is somehow hosing the batteries... is this a known problem?

Please help, would love to fly the little guy again.

ShellDude
Batterys getting low
Drone Type: Bebop

Re: Both batteries drain in 30 seconds from launch- suggesti

Post by ShellDude » 06 Oct 2013, 02:30

How old are your batteries? Were they in storage for a prolonged period of time? If so prior to putting them in storage did you ensure they were drained to 50/60 % capacity?

belrik
Newcomer

Post by belrik » 06 Oct 2013, 02:39

Yes, you have guessed right. They have been in storage for some time but would have been drained to empty prior to that.

I'm not familiar with li-po cells outside of laptops but I'm guessing that the battery chemistry may have deteriorated as a result of this? I've just been playing with the quad and noticed that when running it with my hand to stop it flying away the battery would quickly drain 80->35% but then recover to 75% in a few seconds. I am experimenting with trying to cycle the batteries in this fashion but they may be dead.

My main concern is with the firmware- if this had a bug in it that was causing improper discharges then I was concerned for the ESC and power circuitry.

ShellDude
Batterys getting low
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by ShellDude » 06 Oct 2013, 04:52

I'm sure your firmware is fine. Always try to store your LiPos at about 50% capacity.

belrik
Newcomer

Post by belrik » 06 Oct 2013, 19:27

Thanks for your help, a lesson learned. Will pay more attention to storage in future and probably invest in a proper balance charger which can prepare the lipos for storage. Appreciate the advice.

nic.
Newcomer

Post by nic. » 24 Feb 2015, 17:36

ciao,
my ar drone 1.0 it's instable. and the battery dies pretty soon. could be this the cause of instability? do you, my friends, have any idea of what happens and what should I do to fix the problem?
I'll try to attach two movies. the second one is more "relaxed" as I touched the "land" button pretty soon.
thx,
nic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.