Drone falls out of the sky for no apparent reason

Problems of AR Drone 2.0, Freeflight 2, Flight Recorder GPS, Qgroundcontrol... etc.
TwoWheeler
Ready for take off
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Post by TwoWheeler » 22 May 2012, 21:30

The other day I had my 2.0 just drop out of the sky from about 12' up, for no reason, twice. I thought maybe it was because there were two other wi-fi networks in the area.

Yesterday, it did it to me again - in a completely different place, one where I've flown many times before without issue.

(THIS time, though, it landed on concrete, broke one of the gears and is now out of commission until who knows when - every single online outfit I found says the parts are "out of stock" or "on backorder". ) :(

Any idea what might be causing this?

Nomnom
Ready for take off

Re: Drone falls out of the sky for no apparent reason

Post by Nomnom » 22 May 2012, 22:57

Loss of wifi should not cause the drone to drop to the ground, hmmm. Did you pair the drone with your device? I had it happen to my 1.0 but I think it may have been caused because I forgot to close over 10 apps. What device are you using to control it? Hope it gets back up and flying soon.

szuu
Strange wobble

Post by szuu » 22 May 2012, 23:40

Nomnom wrote:Loss of wifi should not cause the drone to drop to the ground, hmmm.
exactly, and even more: the only "good" reason for drone to fall down is clicking the emergency button.
any other case means a hardware or software failure (on the drone side, not the control app).

gymo
Just flips over
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by gymo » 23 May 2012, 00:02

Hi,

I experienced the same as you describe, however in my case it was due to a failing battery (drone 1 batt)
it would show a healthy 80% before take off then soon drop to about 40% with the drone cutting out randomly. i never noticed the battery level as after a cut out it seemed to regain a few %
when i had a closer look at the top and bottom of the battery i noticed an ever so slight bulge.
Me being me i attacked it with a blade (not advised) and once opened i could easily see one of the cells had swollen.

i've had a few repairs in for the mk1 having this issue and it nearly always was due to the mainboard cpu chip, a reflow and all would be good again

Nigel

yellowboy63
Thinking of bearings

Post by yellowboy63 » 23 May 2012, 00:07

TwoWheeler wrote:The other day I had my 2.0 just drop out of the sky from about 12' up, for no reason, twice. I thought maybe it was because there were two other wi-fi networks in the area.

Yesterday, it did it to me again - in a completely different place, one where I've flown many times before without issue.

(THIS time, though, it landed on concrete, broke one of the gears and is now out of commission until who knows when - every single online outfit I found says the parts are "out of stock" or "on backorder". ) :(

Any idea what might be causing this?
Need a little more info, Do you lose connection to the drone ( video, controls,etc.) ? Also may sound wired but what's the temperature while your flying? My 1.0 does not do well in the summer, haven't tried my 2.0 in the heat yet. Being an 2.0 I wouldn't even try to fix send it in for warranty as the mainboard should have your last flight log.

mr.slowly
Ready for take off

Post by mr.slowly » 23 May 2012, 00:24

Were there any Alerts on the screen?

Mine fell about a meter onto a wooden deck one time. I was bringing it in for a landing, and it just dropped like a rock with 9% battery left. (stock 2.0 battery)

TwoWheeler
Ready for take off

Post by TwoWheeler » 23 May 2012, 15:41

This drone (and battery) are less than a month old.

Each time it's happened, it's been a complete surprise, so I wasn't really paying attention to the circumstances. It seems to me that I didn't lose signal in any of the cases, because I flew the drone afterward - except when I broke it - and would have remembered if I'd had to re-pair the drone or if there was no video signal.

It acted just as if I had hit the panic button, but I'm sure I didn't. It flew fine, both before and after it fell like a dead bird.

I didn't pay attention to any error messages because there's ALWAYS an error when the thing hits something.

Not sure what the battery status was at the time, but I know after the first two times it died, I flew it again afterward. I'm guessing, but it seems like all three times it was in the last 1/3 of my flying time.

Oh, and in all cases, I wasn't more than 50' from the drone.

(And as for the broken gear, I think my ghetto fix may work for the time being, and hopefully I can get replacements soon. If they take too long, I just may get pissed enough to CNC myself some new ones from aluminum!)

deanes
Thinking of bearings
Drone Type: AR.Drone

Post by deanes » 23 May 2012, 18:59

Watch what happens when it falls from about 100'.
I had just installed the zip tie landing shocks, and had zero damage. In fact it flew away from the crash site after a flat trim reset.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLjRdynnEw4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drone
Thinking of bearings

Post by drone » 23 May 2012, 19:20

TwoWheeler,

The number one thing that will cause this is extreme angle, get to 45deg and the thing shuts down, the can be caused by a gust. Not saying that is the case, just saying that's my experience.

I orders spare parts from Amazon, but have had great success using version 1.0 spares that I already had handy.

Bo

billkeil
Newcomer

Post by billkeil » 23 May 2012, 20:57

Mine fell out of the sky and broke off one of the landing gear, the error on the screen was something that didn't make sense. I dragged the right stick up to go up a little and it didn't go up enough so I clicked dragged the stick again to make it go up and it fell out of the sky. Wasn't until we watched the video that we understood what happened. When I dragged the right stick twice like that in a short time the drone tried to do a flip and then tried to climb while still recovering from the flip and just did an emergency shutdown. I have since disabled the flip as a precaution.

TwoWheeler
Ready for take off

Post by TwoWheeler » 23 May 2012, 23:07

I orders spare parts from Amazon,
Yeah, good luck with that - even THEY are out of stock. I spent about an hour on the web looking, and EVERYONE was out. I'd heard about Parrot's crappy support - now I get to experience it for myself..... As I said, if my ghetto fix doesn't work, and I can't find anything online in a timely manner, I may just CNC myself some new gears and tell Parrot to pound salt... It's largely a laziness factor. :D
I have since disabled the flip as a precaution.
Just for poops and giggles, I'm going to try this and see if it makes a difference.

TwoWheeler
Ready for take off

Post by TwoWheeler » 07 Jun 2012, 23:55

Okay - it just did it again.

I have been flying pretty regularly, with no issue.

Tonight, I was "just flying along" - the drone was hovering about ten feet away, about ten feet up....and then just shut off and fell out of the sky like a shot duck. I got the "cut out emergency" message. I still had about 30% battery left.

I relaunched the drone, and flew the rest of the battery out with no problem.

DroneBoy_UK
Strange wobble

Post by DroneBoy_UK » 08 Jun 2012, 00:28

hello mate

I'm new to the drone world now owning my first drone 2.0 2nd day of having it i had this problem happen to me was on my local park was flying about 20feet up and 10feet away from me went to turn it around to come back to me and it just cut out and fell to the ground like a brick = a snapped cross arm and a few bent shaft i have since repaired it myself as cba to wait on parrot and also didnt know what made it happen there was light winds but not enough to make the drone flip i think its was the safety cut of angle thing for some reason kicked and and cut the drones power.....had a few flights since with no problems just turned the setting right down so i can control the drone better have since clued my old cross arm and hope that is ok to use as a spare if it happens again....cheers

darwin-t
Just flips over

Post by darwin-t » 09 Jun 2012, 11:49

Mine did it from about 20 meters yesterday. No wind, I went straight up, it was hovering and I started to rotate it and it fell.

No damage. I forgot to stop the recording before unplugging the battery to reset things, so the video didn't finalize - it's suffix is .tmpvid

No warnings of any kind, no loss of signal, no other wifi around.

DroneBoy_UK
Strange wobble

Post by DroneBoy_UK » 09 Jun 2012, 12:19

darwin-t wrote:Mine did it from about 20 meters yesterday. No wind, I went straight up, it was hovering and I started to rotate it and it fell.

No damage. I forgot to stop the recording before unplugging the battery to reset things, so the video didn't finalize - it's suffix is .tmpvid

No warnings of any kind, no loss of signal, no other wifi around.
I think its gonna be a software issue with the drone i'm no geek with this but cant be anything else as theres loads of people suffring with this problem i just take it easy from now on and low to the ground :) which is not the point of owning a drone....should of got s nitro RC car haha hope we find out what it is the 45% angle cut of is a lot would need a big gust of wind to over turn the drone

kind Regards
shaun

Sent from my Nokia 8810 using Tapatalk :)