Login to disable ads!

Which phone or tablet is best with sc2

Questions and answers about Bebop, Bebop 2 and the Parrot Skycontroller.
1st timer
Ready for take off
Drone Type: Bebop
Has thanked: 0

Which phone or tablet is best with sc2

Post by 1st timer » 18 Nov 2018, 23:56

I have an lg g6 and a galaxy tab e I lose connection at 25m more or less. It's annoying when I want to use the flight plan.
Is there a phone or tablet that gets the most distance without losing connectivity?

waterlanding
Thinking of bearings
Drone Type: Bebop 2

Re: Which phone or tablet is best with sc2

Post by waterlanding » 19 Nov 2018, 00:58

1st timer wrote:
18 Nov 2018, 23:56
I have an lg g6 and a galaxy tab e I lose connection at 25m more or less. It's annoying when I want to use the flight plan.
Is there a phone or tablet that gets the most distance without losing connectivity?
The phone or tablet you're using with your SC2 has nothing to do with connectivity or distance - unless you're using it wrong. Any device will have exactly the same range, which is determined by the SC2's wifi signal, not the phone's.

Parrot's instructions are ambiguous about this, so a lot of people have had your problem. TURN OFF THE WIFI on your phone/Tablet whenever it's connected to an SC2. DO NOT connect your phone wifi to the drone.

1) turn OFF oyur phone's wifi
2) turn on the drone.
3) plug your phone into the SC2, then turn it on.

The SC2 will connect to the drone (green power button) and automatically open the app on your phone via the cable connection. Now you're using the high-powered wifi of the SC2, not the low-power wifi of your phone/tablet. :D

1st timer
Ready for take off

Post by 1st timer » 19 Nov 2018, 01:08

I turn the drone on and the sc2 while my phone or tablet is on airplane mode. I then go into settings a d turn Wi-Fi on. I connect to the drone. I then connect the phone or tablet to the sc2 via USB cable. The app launches. And everything is connected. But for some reason it drops connection passed 20 meters.

waterlanding
Thinking of bearings

Post by waterlanding » 19 Nov 2018, 13:01

1st timer wrote:
19 Nov 2018, 01:08
I turn the drone on and the sc2 while my phone or tablet is on airplane mode. I then go into settings a d turn Wi-Fi on. I connect to the drone. I then connect the phone or tablet to the sc2 via USB cable. The app launches. And everything is connected. But for some reason it drops connection passed 20 meters.
You're not listening. Do NOT turn on your phone's wifi when using an SC2! That's what's causing your short-range disconnection.

What's happening is you're controlling your drone through the phone, not the SC2, and simply using the SC2 as a gamepad. You're not using the SC's incredible long range wifi capability, because you're turning on your phone wifi, which hijacks the drone and interferes with the SC's wifi.

The procedure you're using is the main cause of disconnects and fly-aways on the Bebop 2. Turn OFF your phone wifi!

1st timer
Ready for take off

Post by 1st timer » 19 Nov 2018, 13:11

Ok...my bad. Will try again.

1st timer
Ready for take off

Post by 1st timer » 19 Nov 2018, 23:01

So...i put my phone in airplane mode connected to the sc2 via USB cable turned the drone on and then the sc2.
Sc2 connected to the drone quickly after the app was launched. I did get more range but nothing great. About 40m high and about 150 far before it cut out. I'd like to mention that it was 0 degrees Celsius and there are many houses and businesses around me including a taxi call center with huge antenna/ tower near by. Could it be interference that's causing my drone to disconnect from my sc2? Good news is that it always comes home after the preset time.

waterlanding
Thinking of bearings

Post by waterlanding » 20 Nov 2018, 13:08

1st timer wrote:
19 Nov 2018, 23:01
So...i put my phone in airplane mode connected to the sc2 via USB cable turned the drone on and then the sc2.
Sc2 connected to the drone quickly after the app was launched. I did get more range but nothing great. About 40m high and about 150 far before it cut out. I'd like to mention that it was 0 degrees Celsius and there are many houses and businesses around me including a taxi call center with huge antenna/ tower near by. Could it be interference that's causing my drone to disconnect from my sc2? Good news is that it always comes home after the preset time.
Now you're making progress. 150m is a lot better than 20m. :)

Parrot's claims of "up to 2 km range" only apply out in the wilderness, where there are no wifi hotspots or radio towers. I have a large multi-band radio tower near my home and plenty of neighbors with wifi. That combination reduces my range to 100-150m, but when I fly other (open) areas I do get close to 2 km.

As for the temperature, the operating range of the Bebop 2 is listed as 10-40 degrees Celsius. If you fly in colder weather, watch your battery gauge! Lipo batteries don't like cold weather and can discharge faster than normal in cold weather. The camera focus also gets a bit fuzzy at temps below 10 degrees.