Moderator: i-Drone

i-Drone
Spying is fun
Drone Type: Bebop
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

AR Drone 2.0 Elite

Post by i-Drone » 24 Sep 2013, 01:48

Parrot are bringing out another limited edition model? This time the Elite will be available in 3 camouflage colour options, Jungle, Dessert and Snow.
No release date as yet, but I came across this Ukrainian site last week.

http://ukrainianiphone.com/03/09/2013/136757

What do you all think?

http://www.i-drone.me" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sales@i-drone.me
http://www.facebook.com/groups/124555427639033" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MiamiC70
Just flips over
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Re: AR Drone 2.0 Elite

Post by MiamiC70 » 27 Sep 2013, 03:14

I think rather than innovate an release an upgraded v3.0 they are rehashing and milking the v2.0.

Gimpdiggity
Just flips over

Post by Gimpdiggity » 27 Sep 2013, 04:59

I agree I'd like to see a 3.0.

I really like my AR.Drone 2.0, but some of it's shortcomings seem like things that really should just be right out of the box. Things like the wheel mod antenna and some nicer lights on the hull...those are things that should just be coming standard with a product at the price point of the AR.Drone.

TommyAtomic
Just flips over

Post by TommyAtomic » 27 Sep 2013, 19:10

Gimpdiggity wrote:I agree I'd like to see a 3.0.

I really like my AR.Drone 2.0, but some of it's shortcomings seem like things that really should just be right out of the box. Things like the wheel mod antenna and some nicer lights on the hull...those are things that should just be coming standard with a product at the price point of the AR.Drone.
The wheel mod antenna is not something that would be an out of the box option. It effects the transmit strength of the drone. Wifi transmit strength is regulated differently in different countries. The stock drone is designed to conform to the regulations of all the countries its sold in with exact same hardware.

Now if there was an ARDrone 2.1 that had an external antenna port and jumper so it was easy to plug in an superior antenna without soldering then the issue would be self regulating. In locations that it was legal to have more tx power then a better antenna could be plugged in.

In a Drone 3.0 I would think it would need to have MIMO capable wifi chipset to be considered any kind of an upgrade. This would extend range and signal strength without requiring an unlicensed increase in tx power.

TonyTHT
Chased the cat

Post by TonyTHT » 27 Sep 2013, 19:53

TommyAtomic wrote:

Now if there was an ARDrone 2.1 that had an external antenna port and jumper so it was easy to plug in an superior antenna without soldering then the issue would be self regulating. In locations that it was legal to have more tx power then a better antenna could be plugged in.
What a great idea !

T

macaman
Up and hovering

Post by macaman » 05 Oct 2013, 12:20

I like the green one very cool ...

pbody2013
Serious flight time

Post by pbody2013 » 05 Oct 2013, 20:24

TommyAtomic wrote:

The wheel mod antenna is not something that would be an out of the box option. It effects the transmit strength of the drone. Wifi transmit strength is regulated differently in different countries. The stock drone is designed to conform to the regulations of all the countries its sold in with exact same hardware.

In a Drone 3.0 I would think it would need to have MIMO capable wifi chipset to be considered any kind of an upgrade. This would extend range and signal strength without requiring an unlicensed increase in tx power.
If my understanding of Garrock's wheel is correct it's more of quality improvement with fewer drop outs or dead spots. The wheel being a passive device can't actually increase transmit power. There's no reason however that Parrot can't increase the output signal in one way or another. This board may not be able to do that, Garrock, DBS or Pawelsky could say more on that. The new Dji Vision has a claimed wifi range or 300 meters and that will be available in most countries from what I've read. Just a matter of whether Parrot see's enough profit margin I suppose. Hopefully the next model will incorporate some improvements.
"It seems to be flying alright, but it's making a funny noise"

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 05 Oct 2013, 23:36

pbody2013 wrote: If my understanding of Garrock's wheel is correct it's more of quality improvement with fewer drop outs or dead spots. .
Sounds like what you would want for any signal.

CLICK: AR Drone Antenna Comparison Tests

Other than an on-drone antenna, the next biggest thing for improvement is the Control Devices WiFi Radio Receive Sensitivity and how its AGC circuit behaves.

Unfortunately most real MIMO schemes require multiple antennas; on the drone and ground too.
DroneMod.com --- Worlds first two-drone system: Repeater-Helper and Camera-Worker drones ! --- http://www.REDbirdRF.com

DBS
I've been hit!!
Drone Type: DISCO

Post by DBS » 06 Oct 2013, 03:25

pbody2013 wrote:The new Dji Vision has a claimed wifi range or 300 meters and that will be available in most countries from what I've read.

Interesting how DJI is putting that together ... control is still via transmitter and reciever... wifi is only for the video signal and flight data... and there's a repeater mounted to the tx for the wifi signal... so the phone's wifi and crappy antenna is taken out of the equation for better ground station antenna and wifi power.

I would like to see what frequency the rx/tx is operating on... and also what is the output power of the onboard wifi radio and what type of antenna is onboard... that whole idea is getting more and more interesting :ugeek:
WORLD RECORD Phantom 4 flight CLICK HERE
WORLD RECORD Matrice 600 flight CLICK HERE

pbody2013
Serious flight time

Post by pbody2013 » 06 Oct 2013, 21:13

Didn't they reverse the frequencies for the Vision versus the Phantom? The tx for the Vision is 5.8ghz and the wifi 2.4ghz. Does the 2.4 wifi help with range? The new tx won't work with the Phantom as I recall from the video I watched. Maybe that genius in New York will have a go with the Vision so he can see what buildings he's smashing into.

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 06 Oct 2013, 22:32

pbody2013 wrote:Does the 2.4 wifi help with range?
They probably put the WiFi on 2.4gHz to remain compatible with existing Control Devices (eg iOS or Android). Only recently are some select Control Devices using Dual Band WiFi Radios (both 2.4 and 5.8).

So, they moved the Traditional RC Controller to 5.8gHz to reduce in-band interference to maximize the WiFi video down-link range (The AGC in each radio has a much better chance detecting a weaker signal.)

I am hoping that DJI thought ahead enough to allow for total WiFi control. Then a user will not need two hardware boxes to fly the thing (if they so choose to) and enable other possibilities.
Last edited by garrock on 06 Oct 2013, 23:14, edited 1 time in total.
DroneMod.com --- Worlds first two-drone system: Repeater-Helper and Camera-Worker drones ! --- http://www.REDbirdRF.com

DBS
I've been hit!!
Drone Type: DISCO

Post by DBS » 06 Oct 2013, 22:51

garrock wrote:I am hoping that DJI thought ahead enough to allow for total WiFi control. Then a user will not need two hardware boxes to fly the thing

Ditto on that one for sure :ugeek:
WORLD RECORD Phantom 4 flight CLICK HERE
WORLD RECORD Matrice 600 flight CLICK HERE

pbody2013
Serious flight time

Post by pbody2013 » 07 Oct 2013, 03:23

Thanks Garrock,