Moderator: i-Drone

DroneFreakFPV
Thinking of bearings
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: GPS Module Pricing & Availability

Post by DroneFreakFPV » 25 Jun 2013, 01:29

Prometheus Xex wrote:Hmmm... I'm curious.

Am I to understand that you always have to have a WIFI connection once a flight plan is initiated? The reason I'm asking this is what happens if you look WIFI connection? Does it come "home" automatically, or does it still continue on and finish it flight plan? For arguments sake, could I tell it to circumnavigate a water tower and come back "home" even if it looses WIFI connection on the other side of the tower?
This is also how I am interpreting this. I am assuming the map data is retrieved by the GPS from the controlling device and not uploaded to the USB unit. My concern if I am reading this correctly is that if an ard2 wifi loss occurs between the drone and controlling device, there is no longer a map for the unit to follow making RTH non functional without wifi to the drone. It would be great if you go beyond the wifi connection and lose it entirely the RTH will auto pilot the drone back to you and auto pair the connection.

Imprinted Via Pigeon Mail
ARD2/MiruMod/Miru GPS/Spektrum DX6I/ HogMod/GoPro Custom Mount/808 #16/ Wi-Fi Less FPV System
Tarot FY450/Turnigy Motors/I86L FC, HK Blue 30a ESCS/R610 Micro DSM 2.4ghz Reciever, GAUI Props

Prometheus Xex
Ready for take off

Post by Prometheus Xex » 25 Jun 2013, 01:51

It would seem that the flight plan data could easily be uploaded to the GPS device, where the ard2 could use this data to complete its mission. As long as the drone was in range of the wifi signal, this would give the user full override control, but if the wifi signal is lost, or the user does not interact, then the "mission" would go on until completed. If the battery levels drain to a certain level, then the drone would cancel everything and return home. It's probably easier than you think to program this into the software and drone firmware.

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 25 Jun 2013, 03:36

DroneMod.com --- Worlds first two-drone system: Repeater-Helper and Camera-Worker drones ! --- http://www.REDbirdRF.com

pawelsky
Serious flight time
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by pawelsky » 25 Jun 2013, 10:30

Kyrt wrote:I think it makes sense for MiruMod to be able to get GPS location data from the flight recorder (via drone's NAVdata UDP streams) if one is available, and use it to do whatever it normally does with the data (logging for now). As pawelsky says, that can happen when the API docs are updated, or maybe before if someone is motivated to figure out the navstream format beforehand. The other thing I think that MiruMod could incorporate quite easily would be to include the RTH "button" via RC. That will be trivial to implement for people with flight recorders, so long as a good way of triggering it with the Tx is devised.
It will be trivial assuming the navigation is done autonomously (which I'm not 100% sure at the moment). The trigger is already there (so called FM_3 mode)
Kyrt wrote:As for waypoint navigation, AFAIK it is not actually confirmed 100% yet that it is possible with the standard Parrot control mechanism - so far I have only seen it advertised as a "move to this location" control, i.e. if you select a new location during flight, the previous waypoint is cancelled. I would be surprised if Parrot don't support it in their API though, since they support it via MAVLink[1]. However I can't see how this would be useful via RC?? And if the drone cancels the mission when it loses wifi signal then it won't work anyway.
You can upload a flight plan to the Drone (file is called flightplan.csv if I remember correctly), so waypoint navigation should be possible. I don't think Drone will rely on WiFi connection to asses connection status. It will rather rely on presence of the control link, which RC mod emulates.

ianpaine
Newcomer

Post by ianpaine » 25 Jun 2013, 13:04

I have just installed Paparazzi & I'm currently building QGroundControl from source in a Virtual machine to be used with a 2000mW/2W USB WiFi adapter and 9dBi omni, just waiting for the package to come through the post tomorrow/day after!

pawelsky
Serious flight time

Post by pawelsky » 25 Jun 2013, 13:07

ianpaine wrote:I have just installed Paparazzi & I'm currently building QGroundControl from source in a Virtual machine to be used with a 2000mW/2W USB WiFi adapter and 9dBi omni, just waiting for the package to come through the post tomorrow/day after!
Is Paparazzi any better than stock FW?

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 25 Jun 2013, 13:11

ianpaine wrote:I have just installed Paparazzi & I'm currently building QGroundControl from source in a Virtual machine to be used with a 2000mW/2W USB WiFi adapter and 9dBi omni, just waiting for the package to come through the post tomorrow/day after!
It seems to be more of the ground stations WiFi Radio receive sensitivity and antenna gain than its transmit power.
DroneMod.com --- Worlds first two-drone system: Repeater-Helper and Camera-Worker drones ! --- http://www.REDbirdRF.com

ianpaine
Newcomer

Post by ianpaine » 25 Jun 2013, 13:48

pawelsky wrote:Is Paparazzi any better than stock FW?
Unsure yet as I'm waiting on the GPS unit first, I just have it installed in the Virtual Machine ready to go.
garrock wrote:It seems to be more of the ground stations WiFi Radio receive sensitivity and antenna gain than its transmit power.
I will post my findings, I have numerous adapters and antennae I've used for different applications in the past. It's one of these.

ianpaine
Newcomer

Post by ianpaine » 26 Jun 2013, 12:25

It came, now to get out of work for the afternoon to play! :)

Ruyton
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Ruyton » 27 Jun 2013, 07:20

It's all gone a bit quiet - I guess that all you lucky guys with the GPS Flight Recorder are out flying :-)

Any updates, is it worth splashing out on the GPS module?
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

i-Drone
Spying is fun

Post by i-Drone » 28 Jun 2013, 23:54

The stock is selling quick, we only have 4 left. Parrot UK wont have any new stock now till the end JULY!!
Get yours now, it totally changes the way the drone flies.
Awesome
8-)

Ruyton
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Ruyton » 29 Jun 2013, 08:43

I'd like to hear more from those flying before placing an order ;-)

How does it 'totally change the way that the drone flies?' More stable, OK. What happens when you pick a goto point beyond wifi range? Does the drone hold altitude to the overhead when using 'Home'? I really want the GPS module, but I haven't really been convinced that I NEED it yet :-)
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

Kyrt
Strange wobble

Post by Kyrt » 29 Jun 2013, 09:02

pawelsky wrote:
Kyrt wrote:I think it makes sense for MiruMod to be able to get GPS location data from the flight recorder (via drone's NAVdata UDP streams) if one is available, and use it to do whatever it normally does with the data (logging for now). As pawelsky says, that can happen when the API docs are updated, or maybe before if someone is motivated to figure out the navstream format beforehand. The other thing I think that MiruMod could incorporate quite easily would be to include the RTH "button" via RC. That will be trivial to implement for people with flight recorders, so long as a good way of triggering it with the Tx is devised.
It will be trivial assuming the navigation is done autonomously (which I'm not 100% sure at the moment). The trigger is already there (so called FM_3 mode)
yes that's a possibility. They're dumbasses if they've done it that way though if they also have to do it via mavlink.
Kyrt wrote:As for waypoint navigation, AFAIK it is not actually confirmed 100% yet that it is possible with the standard Parrot control mechanism - so far I have only seen it advertised as a "move to this location" control, i.e. if you select a new location during flight, the previous waypoint is cancelled. I would be surprised if Parrot don't support it in their API though, since they support it via MAVLink[1]. However I can't see how this would be useful via RC?? And if the drone cancels the mission when it loses wifi signal then it won't work anyway.
You can upload a flight plan to the Drone (file is called flightplan.csv if I remember correctly), so waypoint navigation should be possible. I don't think Drone will rely on WiFi connection to asses connection status. It will rather rely on presence of the control link, which RC mod emulates.
Right but I am referring to the parrot control mechanism, i.e. a "waypoints" command rather than a "move to X" command. And as you say, for all we know all the logic of the RTH and waypoint features could in theory be handled within the app.

I'm surprised you've not put a packet sniffer in the middle yet pawelsky :)

Kyrt
Strange wobble

Post by Kyrt » 29 Jun 2013, 09:04

But I still don't understand how waypoint nav is any use when controlling via RC...

pbody2013
Serious flight time

Post by pbody2013 » 29 Jun 2013, 12:35

Ruyton wrote:I'd like to hear more from those flying before placing an order ;-)

How does it 'totally change the way that the drone flies?' More stable, OK. What happens when you pick a goto point beyond wifi range? Does the drone hold altitude to the overhead when using 'Home'? I really want the GPS module, but I haven't really been convinced that I NEED it yet :-)
I agree, for half the cost of the drone it better be something special. There are a few areas of the drone that need improvement and this isn't one of them. Still have crappy crosses and weak underpowered motors yet Parrot adds this. Lets hope it's not windy when the drone is trying to do all this gee whiz stuff. Lets see some actual flights with this thing before falling for the hype.
"It seems to be flying alright, but it's making a funny noise"