- Download Virtualbox for your intended host machine.
- Download the 32bit* version of Ubuntu
- To start the guest setup wizard hit the New Icon once Virtualbox is loaded - the following settings are just a guide please adjust to suit your setup.
- Name - Ubuntu
- OS - Linux
- Version - Ubuntu
- Base Memory - 512mb
- Hard Disk Creation - Ensure the tick is in Boot Hard Disk and select create new hard disk - press continue to start the wizard.
- Dynamic storage growth
- Location - This will create a file in ../Virtualbox/HardDisks/ with the name specified (by default the name you used for the guest in step 3)
- 8GB - Again personal preference here and depends on the space available on your machine.
- Press continue and confirm the settings to complete the setup.
You should now have an Ubuntu guest setup within Virtual box which is in Powered Off status, before we power it up we need to mount the ISO we downloaded.
- Click the settings icon and then the Storage Menu Item.
- In the list on the left you should see your previously created SATA hard disk and above that an IDE Controller with an Empty Disk underneath.
- Select the empty disk and click the folder to right of the CD/Devices dropdown to open the Virtual Media Manager.
- Click add and navigate to the downloaded ISO - hit ok and it will be added to the mounted list. Finish by hitting the Select button from the VMM and then ok in the Storage Settings.
We now need to create a bridged connection to the airport on the mac.
- Click the settings icon and then the Network menu item.
- Change Attached to from NAT to Bridged Adapter and select en1: Airport as the name.
We will now boot up the Virtual machine and install the ISO.
- Hit the Start button.
- After a small wait you will be presented with the Ubuntu install wizard. Select the Install button and follow the install steps to completion.
- Once installed you will reach a splash screen that asks you to remove the disk - Click on the disc icon on the bottom of the window and select unmount CD/Drive - this will remove the ISO mount. Press Enter.
- You should now boot into the newly installed OS.
- Log in and perform the updates and restart
Thats it the OS is ready to go.
PS3 Controller setup
- Plug in your PS3 Controller using the USB cable.
- From the Virtualbox Guest Launcher press Settings and then Ports.
- Click the Add USB filter icon with the + and select the PS3 controller from the list.
Bridging the IP address on a Mac Host
- Ensure your Network adapter is setup as Bridged Adapter and mapped to the Airport.
- Boot up the OS.
- Connect your Airport to the Drone (you may have to unpair the drone from your iPhone by hitting the button under the chassis)
- Ensure the Airport is connected and should have an IP address of 192.168.1.2
- On the Ubuntu OS : System - > Preferences -> Network Connections
- Highlight the wired connection (default Auto eth0) and select Edit.
- Click IPv4 Settings and change method to Manual then click Add.
- Address - 192.168.1.2
- Netmask - 255.255.255.0
- Gateway - 192.168.1.1