GoPro Hero 3 Mounted on an AR Drone 2.0

Mirumod, Macgyver, hull, cam, propeller, leg, cross, ball bearing mods... etc.
ednerd
Chased the cat
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

GoPro Hero 3 Mounted on an AR Drone 2.0

Post by ednerd » 09 Mar 2013, 04:45

I've been wanting to mount the GoPro Hero 3 I got for Christmas onto my AR Drone 2.0 and have not been able to find a cost-effective, solid solution so, I tried a little DIY this week.

Neoprene Pocket

First, I thought I could create a band with a sleeve to hold the camera and just wrap it around the boom. So, I remembered seeing Old Navy selling these iPhone armbands for around $4. It would be some cheap raw material.
IMG_1503.jpg
After some minor surgery I ended up with the strap and the back of the phone sleeve in one solid piece. I cut the strap to wrap around the back of the camera and cut out some walls out of the phone sleeve back and sewed it all together leaving a "door" to insert the camera. I relocated the velcro hook patch to the front of the pocket, cut out a hole for the camera lens and usb cable and sewed on a couple of velcro straps.
IMG_1511.jpg
IMG_1512.JPG
It held the camera on the boom but there was a tiny bit of play so the camera would rotate around the boom a millimeter or two. There was no real way to keep it level besides eyeballing it and tightening the straps. But, it definitely was good enough to fly with. The outdoor hull fit right over the strap and the neo pocket held the gopro just fine.
IMG_1510.jpg
IMG_1509.jpg
Cardboard Scaffolding

After a flight or two with the neo pocket, I was over it. It just wasn't as solid as I wanted it to be. I got to looking around on the interwebs again and really loved what Neil at iDrone had. It was way too expensive for me. The exchange rate and shipping were just too much.

So, I started mocking it up in cardboard. Certainly some corrugated cardboard would be light and solid enough for a mount. I wanted it to really fit perfectly around the boom with no play. I wanted the camera to be held at a defined angle. So, I measured and measured and cut and cut until I had this:
IMG_1531.jpg
The side pieces that hold the camera are held in place with 3 interlocking cards.
IMG_1529.jpg
IMG_1526.jpg
The boom goes in between the top 2 cards. I would assemble the whole thing (except the top card) with the camera in it and then lay the usb cable and boom on top of the middle card. Then I could slide the top card on top of the boom and man, it held really snug. The outdoor hull fit right over top of it. I had to fold the side brackets slightly to fit the hull all the way over them though.
IMG_1519.JPG
IMG_1524.jpg
So, for now, this is my low budget solution. As you can see, the cardboard gets a little wonky once you take it off and put it back on a few times. But, the beauty of it is that you can just make another one. I do recommend that you get a battery delete cable (or make one) and a clear lens protector (or make one). I bought the cable from drone-mods.com and the lens cover from ragecams. So, that adds up to about $50. But, the mount didn't cost anything.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ednerd on 09 Mar 2013, 04:54, edited 1 time in total.
Fly Boyz - A 48 Hour Film Project, Baltimore 2013

ednerd
Chased the cat

Re: GoPro Hero 3 Mounted on an AR Drone 2.0

Post by ednerd » 09 Mar 2013, 04:51

And since the attachment limit is 10...

I mocked it up in Illustrator as best I could.
  • • Just cut on the solid lines.
    • The grey areas are cutouts.
    • The dotted lines are optional folds.
    • Make sure to print it out Actual Size.
So here you go. Try it and let me know how it goes. :)

Or, How do you mount your GoPro Hero 3 to your AR Drone 2.0?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DaZa
I've been hit!!

Post by DaZa » 09 Mar 2013, 05:15

Nice job!

Only issue I could see with that mod is that you have a lot of cross section area on the sides for the wind to push the drone around a lot.

I'd remake it out of thin balsa wood and try to reduce the amount of side panel somewhat to reduce this.

But if it works! :)

ScubaSteve
I've been hit!!

Post by ScubaSteve » 09 Mar 2013, 07:36

Nice, I recognise that battery cable ;)

You could make downloadable templates for people to cut out and make there own mount I'm sure people would pay a couple of bucks for it :)
http://www.dronetec.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; << QuadMod RC Control for your Drone
http://www.facebook.com/dronetecgb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; << Like Us on Facebook

ednerd
Chased the cat

Post by ednerd » 09 Mar 2013, 16:17

DaZa wrote:Only issue I could see with that mod is that you have a lot of cross section area on the sides for the wind to push the drone around a lot.
Indeed. The bottom half that holds the camera could use some cuts to have less surface area. I will definitely try again today.
ScubaSteve wrote:Nice, I recognise that battery cable ;)
Yep, I ordered one from Bob right before they arrived from you. :)
ScubaSteve wrote:You could make downloadable templates for people to cut out and make there own mount I'm sure people would pay a couple of bucks for it :)
In my second post in this thread there should be a PDF attachment to download for free! :)

mewanttofly
Ready for take off

Post by mewanttofly » 09 Mar 2013, 19:43

ednerd wrote:I've been wanting to mount the GoPro Hero 3 I got for Christmas onto my AR Drone 2.0 and have not been able to find a cost-effective, solid solution so, I tried a little DIY this week.

Neoprene Pocket

First, I thought I could create a band with a sleeve to hold the camera and just wrap it around the boom. So, I remembered seeing Old Navy selling these iPhone armbands for around $4. It would be some cheap raw material.
IMG_1503.jpg
After some minor surgery I ended up with the strap and the back of the phone sleeve in one solid piece. I cut the strap to wrap around the back of the camera and cut out some walls out of the phone sleeve back and sewed it all together leaving a "door" to insert the camera. I relocated the velcro hook patch to the front of the pocket, cut out a hole for the camera lens and usb cable and sewed on a couple of velcro straps.
IMG_1511.jpg
IMG_1512.JPG
It held the camera on the boom but there was a tiny bit of play so the camera would rotate around the boom a millimeter or two. There was no real way to keep it level besides eyeballing it and tightening the straps. But, it definitely was good enough to fly with. The outdoor hull fit right over the strap and the neo pocket held the gopro just fine.
IMG_1510.jpg
IMG_1509.jpg
Cardboard Scaffolding

After a flight or two with the neo pocket, I was over it. It just wasn't as solid as I wanted it to be. I got to looking around on the interwebs again and really loved what Neil at iDrone had. It was way too expensive for me. The exchange rate and shipping were just too much.

So, I started mocking it up in cardboard. Certainly some corrugated cardboard would be light and solid enough for a mount. I wanted it to really fit perfectly around the boom with no play. I wanted the camera to be held at a defined angle. So, I measured and measured and cut and cut until I had this:
IMG_1531.jpg
The side pieces that hold the camera are held in place with 3 interlocking cards.
IMG_1529.jpg
IMG_1526.jpg
The boom goes in between the top 2 cards. I would assemble the whole thing (except the top card) with the camera in it and then lay the usb cable and boom on top of the middle card. Then I could slide the top card on top of the boom and man, it held really snug. The outdoor hull fit right over top of it. I had to fold the side brackets slightly to fit the hull all the way over them though.
IMG_1519.JPG
IMG_1524.jpg
So, for now, this is my low budget solution. As you can see, the cardboard gets a little wonky once you take it off and put it back on a few times. But, the beauty of it is that you can just make another one. I do recommend that you get a battery delete cable (or make one) and a clear lens protector (or make one). I bought the cable from drone-mods.com and the lens cover from ragecams. So, that adds up to about $50. But, the mount didn't cost anything.
Hello, I like the concept. Do you have a sample video. Just curios how the set up affected ( if any) your flight and video quality. thanks. :)

ednerd
Chased the cat

Post by ednerd » 10 Mar 2013, 02:44

I did some real world flight testing today (as opposed to my living room) and I have to say, I am not happy with the performance. Controlling the drone is difficult. I had to dial down the settings to be much mellower and smooth. Even then, it's just hard to maneuver.

So, it makes me wonder how do others have their H3's set up on their ARD2's?

Is it just a matter of flight settings? flying skills? RC instead of WiFi? joysticks/tx instead of touchscreen control? weight? aerodynamics? weight distribution?

I'm at a loss. I had really hoped this would work better than it did. Back to the drawing board. :|
mewanttofly wrote:Hello, I like the concept. Do you have a sample video. Just curios how the set up affected ( if any) your flight and video quality. thanks. :)
I do have a sample video but, it's just embarrassing. :oops: The video from the H3 looks great though.

ScubaSteve
I've been hit!!

Post by ScubaSteve » 10 Mar 2013, 02:49

Lots of weight saving.

Read my thread

http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/vie ... 1&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.dronetec.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; << QuadMod RC Control for your Drone
http://www.facebook.com/dronetecgb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; << Like Us on Facebook

DaZa
I've been hit!!

Post by DaZa » 10 Mar 2013, 04:31

ednerd there is no nice way to say this.... YOU NEED TO CHOP!!!!! :)

A brick mod or semi (xenomoroph) mod would do the trick, cut down on overall cross section, save weight and impove handling.

Extreme but this is the best way to get some decent flight performance out of the drone, especially if your carrying extras.

Code74
Charged up again

Post by Code74 » 10 Mar 2013, 06:34

To chop or not to chop that is the question.?. ;)
Come fly with me one day bro and ill sway you to the darkside lol :P
HT-450 merged into a HT-Flip FPV 1.3 vtx, Fatshark base goggles, Gopro 3, sony vtx cam

ednerd
Chased the cat

Post by ednerd » 10 Mar 2013, 16:21

Alright, consider my arm twisted. If weight reduction is the key to gaining agility and control while carrying the H3, I'm down to do some chopping! :shock:

So, should I just wing it based on what I've seen of your flying bricks on here or are there some guidelines I should adhere to?
Such as:
  • • What is the optimal target weight?
    • What can I chop off safely (without cutting through a cable)?
Steve's xenomorph with the H3 mounted looks to be a good starting point for me.

Thanks guys!

P.S. Here is the next iteration of the mount that I tested yesterday taking DaZa's suggestion to decrease side surface area. It may still be salvageable if I can figure out where to offset the weight gain. But, the overall design will change drastically to mount onto a brick.
GoProDrone v0.2.pdf

ScubaSteve
I've been hit!!

Post by ScubaSteve » 10 Mar 2013, 16:26

If you are following my style, you should get it down to about stock weight with hero 3 on

reuben
Newcomer

Post by reuben » 14 Mar 2013, 08:09

As a quick and easy solution I bought 'the Frame' a slim mount for the GoPro HD 3,

http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/the-frame" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stuck those 3M sticker mounts on the bottom of the Drone and tried to centre it and slotted it in.

Thing flew about but seemed rather wobbly and not balanced. I'm thinking maybe the metal screw in the mount is causing some imbalance and I might have to shift the camera off to one side.

Drawbacks that I can see:

a) The thumb screw is quite heavy
b) The 3M sticker mount is NOT removable as far as I know. The instructions to use a hair dryer on the surface, warped the plastic of the bottom.

You can see results here:
http://youtu.be/aoZ6UJfQoOo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://youtu.be/-bdsvq74QDk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (this was after the hull was warped so I'm not sure if it added to the instability)

bluebug
Battery Charged

Post by bluebug » 14 Mar 2013, 20:05

Has anyone tried to feed the video from and Ipad, Iphone or android device to goggles like shark or other brands to make it easier to see the video in daylight?

ednerd
Chased the cat

Post by ednerd » 14 Mar 2013, 21:41

reuben wrote:Thing flew about but seemed rather wobbly and not balanced.
Not bad! That frame mount is pretty expensive for what it is. The second video was scary at 2:31 and 2:45. I definitely had similar wobbliness the way I had mounted the H3. i.e. Climbing is fine but maneuvering blows.

I'm currently chopping away trying to shed weight so, we'll see if that's the ticket.