3nslav3
Batterys getting low
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Troubleshooting ARDrone Flight PRO

Post by 3nslav3 » 07 Apr 2013, 22:22

lmnca wrote:Hi All,

Just in case it happens to somebody else in the future, I finally found out what the problem was: the phone's memory was full because of all the videos of previous flights stored on the phone's SD. After I cleaned up the videos to free some space, I went to the Google store and the App decided to upgrade itself. I guess after I tried the previous upgrades the application was not properly upgraded or something and that was the reason for the hectic behavior.
After that I restarted the App and it worked like a charm. Too bad it's night so cannot really try it to check how it's behaving but at least I could take off and land.

So the big lesson is: if the program freezes with that on-screen message: check your disk space on the phone. Some better diagnostics would be appreciated, though.

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

L.
haha! don't ignore the "memory is full" message :P I'll remember that one ;) thanks for letting know how you fixed it

lmnca
Battery Charged

Post by lmnca » 07 Apr 2013, 23:33

Hi All,

Ok, so now I'm having a different issue: I can connect to the drone fairly reliably, but I cannot download the firmware upgrade. The current firmware version as reported by the new version of the software (I ticked the V2 Drone check box as advised) is 1.10.0. I had an indoor flight which revealed much worst stability of the drone, even indoor it's hovering and oscillating and will occasionally bump into nearby obstacles if you don't constantly correct the position. I am assuming this is due to an outdated firmware. I just have 126MB free on my phone's SD card. Is it the case that the firmware file needs more space?
I seem to be fighting my phone as much as I fight the drone and its software here.

Thanks for any suggestion and hard figures on what kind of free memory space I need on the SD to run the software reliably. Also what kind of a requirement is there on free RAM - it's also fairly low on that (95MB or something)?

Thanks everybody for your help so far.

Regards,

L.

lmnca
Battery Charged

Post by lmnca » 08 Apr 2013, 01:40

This seems to be an issue with ARDrone Flight PRO. Even after I clean up and free up some SD space, it just skips the download of the firmware file even though I'm connected to local wifi with unlimited download. Right after selecting the Wifi modem, the App directly skips to the ARDrone wifi network selection, the download bar is just a flicker. Somehow my previous misadventures led me to install a ARDrone 1.0 firmware which explains the 1.10.0 version. Could that be the reason why it refuses to upgrade to a 2.0 firmware?
Yesterday, there was a point where I was able to download the firmware files multiple times, but the App did not have the tick-box for 2.0, so I suppose it must have been the old version of the App which hadn't been upgraded properly owing to my SD space issues. Please let me know how to work around this. For instance, is there any way I can download a firmware file directly onto the phone, and if so how do you recommend I achieve this, and where do I find the firmware file?
Is an USB firmware upgrade procedure available, if so, could you point me to a how-to?

Thanks,

L.

shawnf
Chased the cat

Post by shawnf » 08 Apr 2013, 08:59

As you say, somehow you've managed to install the V1 firmware on the drone.
You need to telnet into your drone and correct the version.txt files:
http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/vie ... 7&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lmnca
Battery Charged

Post by lmnca » 08 Apr 2013, 14:34

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for the help!
The guide recommends installing the 2.1.16 firmware. Do you uphold this or do you think 2.3.3 will be fine/better? Any specific URL where it will be safe to upload the firmware files from?

Regards,

L.

lmnca
Battery Charged

Post by lmnca » 08 Apr 2013, 20:51

Hi All,

Just wanted to thank all of those who provided answers and advice. Everything is working fine now after upgrading to 2.3.3 firmware.

Regards,

L.

swindog
Battery Charged

Post by swindog » 10 Jun 2013, 22:17

Hi,
First time poster long time listener.

Having a few issues with the drone on the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Model Gt-P5100.

I have downloaded both ARDrone apps, the pro and the other one.
I have gone platinum on the other one. So, ive paid for two. Neither work.

I have setup the i.p address and followed all instructions as per the videos on meavydevs website and you tube.

BUT the app sit on connecting to drone waiting for navdata. When i refresh the licenses and try to get the maps, nothing shows up in the way of information for the maps.

What can i do?

I use it for work to take photos of the building site in areas we cant reach normally.

swindog
Battery Charged

Post by swindog » 10 Jun 2013, 22:30

So as yet, been unable to fly on either of meavydevs apps.

3nslav3
Batterys getting low

Post by 3nslav3 » 11 Jun 2013, 16:30

is freeflight working? if yes... reboot the device and try ardfpro again without using freeflight

shawnf
Chased the cat

Post by shawnf » 11 Jun 2013, 19:51

swindog wrote:Hi,

I have setup the i.p address and followed all instructions as per the videos on meavydevs website and you tube.

BUT the app sit on connecting to drone waiting for navdata. When i refresh the licenses and try to get the maps, nothing shows up in the way of information for the maps.

What can i do?

I use it for work to take photos of the building site in areas we cant reach normally.
Setting IP Address? For Wifi connections to the drone you don't change this.
I think you might have got confused - you can't use 3G connection unless you have a 3G mifi in the drone, so definitely not in your case.
So don't select Use 3G or Use different IP.
Turn off auto-connect, as you might have selected the wrong drone SSID.

Also Task killers are bad, so make sure you aren't running one of these third party apps.

So manually choose the Drone WiFi in your WiFi settings and connect to it.
Once it's connected then launch my app. If you still have a problem with navdata, then something else is getting in the way - Parrot's app being most likely.

As far as maps go, you have to be connected to an internet connection to download a map. Then pressing the Select the MapsForge map puts up the chooser dialog.
If this isn't happening, then you have a problem with your internet connection.
If the section is greyed out then it isn't seeing a GPS in your device.

This is as described on my website:
http://www.meavydev.co.uk/ARDrone.html#Autonomous" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can just download the map from a PC by downloading the relevant area map from :
http://download.mapsforge.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Then just rename the map file to ARDrone.map and copy it to /sdcard/ARDroneFlight/map/ARDrone.map.

MapsForge has a bug were you have to actually touch in the map area to get it to repaint.

However, don't think that the ARDrone can be used like a proper Autonomous drone.
It doesn't have a GPS, so all the position updates require you to use your device GPS to set the drone position before every take off.
The positioning is then via the drone velocity estimates from the onboard gyros, which precess, so the position is just approximate.
Also you have to fly in wifi range.

swindog
Battery Charged

Post by swindog » 12 Jun 2013, 21:35

Ok ill try those things.

Im not connecting via 3g, its always been full internet wifi.

I changed the i.p address as the work wifi has a conflicting i.p (i assume) still something Im looking at.
Its definately not picking up the maps, even with wifi so not sure. The gps is active on the device so it should pick it up.
Ill delete all the other apps minus your two and see what happens.

i assume its looking for the maps to finalise the connection to the drone? If so, do you think that could be an option in the next update.

And no. The Parrot AR.freeflight isnt connecting either.

From the comments above I assume it could be the i.p address.

shawnf
Chased the cat

Post by shawnf » 12 Jun 2013, 21:58

No, the maps are nothing to do with a drone connection.
You get taken to the licensing and mapping menu to refresh the license.
You need an internet connection to do this to talk to the Google servers and you see a license retrieved dialog if it works...
The change IP is for drone connections only, once you have connected to the drone ssid, and nothing to do with your work Wi-Fi. It is only used for 3G connections.

You obviously won't be connecting to your work Wi-Fi to connect to the drone, you will be connecting to the drone Wi-Fi ssid starting with ardrone...

swindog
Battery Charged

Post by swindog » 13 Jun 2013, 05:21

I understand all that.
The drone connects to the tablet fine;
I open your app;
I refresh the licenses fine, it gives me the feed back as you say;
It then says trying to connect to drone waiting for navdata and sits there and does nothing.

3nslav3
Batterys getting low

Post by 3nslav3 » 13 Jun 2013, 05:43

maybe you need to reset the drone using the reset button in the batt tray, freeflight also isnt working for you so i dont think its an app related problem

swindog
Battery Charged

Post by swindog » 13 Jun 2013, 07:33

Legend.
Didn't even know there was a reset button. Worked a treat. Works well now. Good app too.
I had a look through the manual which i couldnt see it mention the reset.

Thanks very much for all your help.