Pro Feature Requests

Moderator: shawnf

shawnf
Chased the cat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Pro Feature Requests

Post by shawnf » 10 Dec 2012, 10:39

This thread is for Pro feature request discussions.

shawnf
Chased the cat

Re: Pro Feature Requests

Post by shawnf » 10 Dec 2012, 10:42

First request:
Separate sensitivity and deadzones for yaw and climb, rather than just the collective joystick.

This is possible, but more effort for me, so I just want to know if the Flight Settings yaw and climb rates can be tweaked to have almost this effect...

shawnf
Chased the cat

Post by shawnf » 10 Dec 2012, 10:49

Automatically connect to the Drone wifi on app startup / pressing back button.

I think this is possible with an extra permission on the app.
What would have to happen is that when you tick the auto connect option it would put up a dialog with the list of wifi SSIDs for you to select the Drone, which would be remembered (and hopefully the SSID would be displayed under the selected option, if this is possible)
From then on, it would auto connect to the Drone at app start-up and you would no longer get taken to the wifi settings screen to connect back to the Drone wifi (no connect back to the Drone press OK dialog either).
It could be extended to remember your internet wifi too, but I think I wouldn't do this, as some people might be using 3G and turning wifi off...

If the connection manager fails, then hopefully I would be able to default back to the wifi settings screen, but can't promise this ;)

garrock
I've been hit!!
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Post by garrock » 10 Dec 2012, 14:19

shawnf wrote:Automatically connect to the Drone wifi on app startup / pressing back button.
Make considerations for fliers who switch back and forth between Range Extender and direct connection to the drone as their SSID's are different. Also, some users have multiple drones. Perhaps a setting to enable/disable this feature (disabled as default?)

Perhaps show the connected SSID name for a three to five seconds on the display. The user may be waiting on the take-off button to appear so down close to that area of the screen perhaps.
DroneMod.com --- Worlds first two-drone system: Repeater-Helper and Camera-Worker drones ! --- http://www.REDbirdRF.com

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 10 Dec 2012, 14:47

shawnf wrote:Separate sensitivity and deadzones for yaw and climb, rather than just the collective joystick.
Implementing support to better-manage isolating Yaw and Climb is very useful in two following ways:
  • Case 1) With the Drone in Hover Mode: Sometimes I hold my phone controller in my right hand as I casually stand, talk, or walk. I have my left (cyclic) hand free. Then I choose to either spin (yaw) the drone or change altitude. Consider the drone as if is running up an down a virtual pole; and spinning it to take a look around. Personal surveilance mode.

Case 2)Driving the Drone Mode (cyclic enabled): In most cases I am changing altitude when moving the drone up/down range. However, if Yaw is less sensitive then it might be harder to make heading corrections as you are flying down range.

Case 1 requires sensitivity for both Yaw and Climb. But still, need isolation manipulation Yaw and Climb.
Case 2 requires less sensitivity for Yaw and more for Climb. Yaw in this case might be more difficult to use for correcting heading.

For Game Controller users it could be a matter of mapping in R1 or R2 to to disable Yaw or Climb. But that does not really address the majority of users.

It appears not so easy to choose an implementation strategy since people only have two thumbs for manipulating the screen.

Any kind of simple API callback for detecting a quick jar or shaking motion in the horizontal or vertical axis ? That could arm a few second window to ignore Yaw or Climb. Also, perhaps if no Cyclic control is enabled, then that could trigger another type Yaw/Climb manipulation mode.

Just some free-thinking stuff ... (the Drone-Spin when changing altitude is the biggest issue)
DroneMod.com --- Worlds first two-drone system: Repeater-Helper and Camera-Worker drones ! --- http://www.REDbirdRF.com

ben_m16
Just flips over

Post by ben_m16 » 26 Dec 2012, 12:13

A new possible new feature can be save all flight in USB or phone with the design that you can see while flying. Horizon lines, icons, battery, etc.

More or less like if you captures the screen, but with video.

I test Screencast app, but the video file don´t save OK, give me a lot of problems.

Thanks Very much.

PD.: what´s new in your new version of Ar.Drone Flight Pro app, released on 25th December????? You don´t indicate it on the Google Play.

3nslav3
Batterys getting low

Post by 3nslav3 » 26 Dec 2012, 18:03

The new version of ARDrone Flight PRO has some minor bugfixes for a few people with crash problems (weird but true)

about using screencast: the APP is a bit buggy, doesn't get updated anymore but I got it to work on my S3, make sure it saves the video's with high quality and that your device is rooted, if you have acces to the DEV settings in your phone you could try to enable 2D GPU rendering (can't promise anything but it worked for me)

saving the screen as a video just isn't possible without rooting the device and it would make the app VERY unstable unless Shawn can figure it out

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 28 Dec 2012, 18:04

Settings Organization:
  • Not a short term enhancement; but never-the-less is worth discussion.
    Changing settings and understanding the settings navigation appears to be increasing on the forum traffic; and, is not all that easy to recall each time one navigates into the settings.

Certain settings are accessed more often than others. Accessing them each time via a scrolling text based navigation scheme takes longer and adds some confusion while out in the field flying.

The current settings interface is all text navigation based.
    Visual-iconic navigation could decrease learning time and help self-document the settings.

Pro Feature Request - Tiled Settings Screen:
    • Perhaps when the settings icon is pressed, a tiled screen comes up (not too unlike a Windows Phone style).
      Each tile could have an icon and a short text to describe the settings under that category.
    The current text-based top-level navigation items:
    • Licensing and Mapping
      Flight Animations
      Drone Information
      Joystick Settings
      Flight Settings
      User Interface and Feedback
      Enemy Detection
      Gamepad Mapping
    Below are re-organized examples for two of the above navigation items...

User Interface and Feedback
    • General display preferences:
      • On-screen Objects, size and color options: (7 items)
        On-screen Buttons, visibility options: (2 items) exit app, switch profile
      Objective - Mission/Payload:
      • Video Recording: (8 items) (logically, this is not a User Interface Setting)
      Pilot - Flight Instrumentation:
      • HUD 3D Model (4 items)
        Altitude/Heading: (7 sub-items)
        WiFi Radio Indicators (2 items) signal strength, link quality
        Annunciation: (3 items) haptic, audio, text-to-speech
        Timers: (3 sub-items) Flight Time and/or USB Record Time - Both Pilot and Mission Related
    Flight Settings (Pilot. Vehicle Performance and Configuration)
    • Vehicle - Performance:
      • Limits (4 items) Max Altitude, Yaw Rate, Climb Rate, Max tilt angle
      Vehicle - Configuration:
      • Hull Type (1 item) outdoor/indoor hull setting
        Mode (1 item) outdoor/indoor flight setting
      Pilot - Control Methods:
      • Flight Mode (5 sub-items)
        Auto-land (1 item) (below 15cm)
    The above two items prefaced with "Pilot" could be under one tiled sub-category since they are pilot-centric setting.
=================================================

Other Pro Feature Requests
  • Saving Settings:
    • Not all settings are drone-specific. Many settings are specific to the control device only.
      It appears the ARDrone Flight App always communicates with and updates the drone regardless if the changes were only control-device specific.
      This induces an undesirable amount of time the pilot has to wait before Take-Off.
    App Start-up. Waiting for Take-Off:
    • ARDrone Flight Pro has recently imposed a forced wating period before the pilot can Take-Off.
      When you are wanting to capture a quick video, the 5 plus second waiting period is too long. The event of interest is already transpiring.
      What can be done to mitigate this forced Take-Off waiting period ???

Note: It appears when the App is launched, it is blindly performing a complete drone setting update.

Show connected SSID:
    • Very useful if using a WiFi Range Extender to confirm if connected to the Extender or directly to the Drone.
      Perhaps show the connected SSID name for a three to five seconds on the display.
      The user may be waiting on the take-off button to appear so down close to that area of the screen perhaps.

costing
Ready for take off

Post by costing » 30 Dec 2012, 23:59

Could you please include in the Firmware section a selection of the desired firmware version to flush? A trivial way of switching versions would help quite a few people in their quests I think...

brock.travis
Ready for take off

Post by brock.travis » 03 Jan 2013, 06:06

Ability to create new profiles using an existing profile as a template rather than new profiles that use the default settings.
Would be useful when you want another profile that is very similar to an existing one but has a few minor changes.
This way users don't have to reset all of their interface settings to their liking for each profile they create.

The above could easily be implemented by giving the user the ability to modify the "default" profile.

Currently the only way to modify the default profile is by removing all of your existing profiles. (not sure if that is a bug or by design)
Last edited by brock.travis on 03 Jan 2013, 06:11, edited 1 time in total.

brock.travis
Ready for take off

Post by brock.travis » 03 Jan 2013, 06:08

Add confirmation dialog when you either press the back button or the UI exit button.

Schlauncha
Charged up again

Post by Schlauncha » 03 Jan 2013, 06:39

For game pad mapping, it would be great if "Height" could optionally be mapped to buttons for up or down, not only joystick axis (axisses? axi?). Often I get it set at the cruising height I want (maybe 8 feet up) and then I fly around the yard with only pitch/roll/yaw commands, which was easy enough on my 1.0 with the RC mod and its stiff return spring, but now with this Moga controller I'm using, it's too easy for me to accidentally mess with the height when I don't want to. I mapped an Xbox controller when flying with my PC (on the 1.0) to use the right and left triggers as a combined joystick axis for up and down respectively, and this made FPV flight amazing since it now matched the helicopter controls I was used to from my video games (like BF3).

Of course, you would want to really slow down the climb / descend rates when using the Moga's non-analog buttons, rather than All-Or-Nothing. Maybe even a line of code that the longer you hold it, it ramps up the input, so if "Ascend" button is pressed, then it's like the "Height" joystick value (normally neutral) is increased by 10% per half-second of continuous hold, and reset to zero as soon as it is released. This would be very very nice. I know it's maybe a bit much to ask, but it would perfect this App for my controls. If you can do this, I'll donate another $20 for your time. Just let me know where. Thanks.

brock.travis
Ready for take off

Post by brock.travis » 04 Jan 2013, 05:25

Ability to change the order of profiles and flight animations.
For the auto-connect option, it doesn't seem to re-enable the SSIDs it disables when you close down the program.
Ability to type specific variables for yaw, altitude, angle in addition to the sliders for more precise modifications. Maybe just tapping on the number brings up the option to type one in.

Not sure if it is possible, but figure out a way to make the wifi signal report the connection between the drone and a repeater for those who fly with one. I would think the status of that connection would have to be stored on the drone somewhere.

Videonut
Ready for take off

Post by Videonut » 07 Jan 2013, 18:56

I would be interested if anyone else would like to see the profile name on the recording HUD.Maybe just a toast message to let me know I've changed. I sometimes change during flight to try different settings but my memory doesn't last as long as an ardrone battery, so it'd be nice to have a cue on the recording when I change.

fr4nk1yn
Ready for take off

Post by fr4nk1yn » 11 Jan 2013, 05:50

Mapping flips to gamepad buttons.
Option to remove icons when using gamepad.
Option to remove orientation HUD.
Kinda iffy but: auto hover toggle.