Virtualbox Setup Guide
Posted: 13 Sep 2010, 23:39
Here is a small guide to getting an Ubuntu guest running on a mac (or Windows) using Virtualbox.
PS3 Controller setup
- Download Virtualbox for your intended host machine.
- Download the 32bit* version of Ubuntu
- To start the guest setup wizard hit the New Icon once Virtualbox is loaded - the following settings are just a guide please adjust to suit your setup.
- Name - Ubuntu
- OS - Linux
- Version - Ubuntu
- Base Memory - 512mb
- Hard Disk Creation - Ensure the tick is in Boot Hard Disk and select create new hard disk - press continue to start the wizard.
- Dynamic storage growth
- Location - This will create a file in ../Virtualbox/HardDisks/ with the name specified (by default the name you used for the guest in step 3)
- 8GB - Again personal preference here and depends on the space available on your machine.
- Press continue and confirm the settings to complete the setup.
- Click the settings icon and then the Storage Menu Item.
- In the list on the left you should see your previously created SATA hard disk and above that an IDE Controller with an Empty Disk underneath.
- Select the empty disk and click the folder to right of the CD/Devices dropdown to open the Virtual Media Manager.
- Click add and navigate to the downloaded ISO - hit ok and it will be added to the mounted list. Finish by hitting the Select button from the VMM and then ok in the Storage Settings.
- Click the settings icon and then the Network menu item.
- Change Attached to from NAT to Bridged Adapter and select en1: Airport as the name.
- Hit the Start button.
- After a small wait you will be presented with the Ubuntu install wizard. Select the Install button and follow the install steps to completion.
- Once installed you will reach a splash screen that asks you to remove the disk - Click on the disc icon on the bottom of the window and select unmount CD/Drive - this will remove the ISO mount. Press Enter.
- You should now boot into the newly installed OS.
- Log in and perform the updates and restart
PS3 Controller setup
- Plug in your PS3 Controller using the USB cable.
- From the Virtualbox Guest Launcher press Settings and then Ports.
- Click the Add USB filter icon with the + and select the PS3 controller from the list.
- Ensure your Network adapter is setup as Bridged Adapter and mapped to the Airport.
- Boot up the OS.
- Connect your Airport to the Drone (you may have to unpair the drone from your iPhone by hitting the button under the chassis)
- Ensure the Airport is connected and should have an IP address of 192.168.1.2
- On the Ubuntu OS : System - > Preferences -> Network Connections
- Highlight the wired connection (default Auto eth0) and select Edit.
- Click IPv4 Settings and change method to Manual then click Add.
- Address - 192.168.1.2
- Netmask - 255.255.255.0
- Gateway - 192.168.1.1