$200 prize for whoever can make this mod

Parrot SDK, Linux SDK, Java, PC, Mac, scripts for Parrot drones... etc.
Schlauncha
Charged up again
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: $200 prize for whoever can make this mod

Post by Schlauncha » 14 Apr 2014, 15:32

I never used the actual potentiometers, I just adjusted the variables in the sketch (TGAIN, YGAIN etc) and did not set the potentiometer option to enabled. Mostly, I was just incredibly lucky that my combination of motors, props, aircraft mass and inertial characteristics all happened to match with my default settings.

As for being dangerous, I recommend only flying one of these with a trusted connection (a device you have had good range with before, and not had issues with it locking up or losing connection) and doing your initial tests outdoors over grass away from things to hit, on very very low wind days. Upon launching, if you are lucky like I was, it will go up and begin hovering. The more likely result is that it will get a few feet up, begin oscillating wildly, and then emergency itself out or you hit emergency for it before it crashes. If it looked like it was whipping back and forth very fast, then you may have the Pgain Rgain too high. If it bobs wildly up and down, the Tgain may be too high. This process will most likely require surviving several crashes, making changes between each launch and evaluating if that improved the flight or made it worse. If it is slow to respond and tilts over / begins traveling horizontally fast, the gains are too low.

The fact that I tested this with my first flight in my garage is not the best example. Go outdoors and stay a safe distance from it. Just be ready to Emergency it in case it tries to fly away (too high of throttle values).

kaosun
Newcomer

Post by kaosun » 22 Apr 2014, 18:52

Thank you for your reaponse. Actually I've not tested them recently for waiting for the replacment parts.
May I have your four parameters? I'd like to test your parameters to see whether there's anything wrong else. OK?
Thank you in advane!

Gabriel142
Newcomer

Post by Gabriel142 » 30 May 2014, 07:22

Hello friends
I have a project I need is to move the motors esc with their drivers, but not exactly as is the connection of each motor with the arduino, I have the 4 motors and their controllers ARDrone battery, just buy it and I want to do the work alone with arduino

aljan
Newcomer
Drone Type: AR.Drone

Post by aljan » 10 Jun 2014, 13:22

Hi guys,

Good work!

I am using the AR version 1.0 for this kind of experiments, so I want to add a 12c pressure an compass sensor to the drone.
But Is there a way that we can add a GPS position and altitude hold on the arduino?
and is there a windows program to show the video data?

santunes
Battery Charged

Post by santunes » 03 Jan 2015, 20:41

Hi Everyone !!! Happy new Year !!!

I've been reading this post on my spare time and got Very excited about it.

I'm also an electronics enthusiast and this mod is realy verry good so I think I will try it.

But i would like also to bring to the discussion another type of hack without the arduino.

If you could just simply make a corrent bypass to the ardrone ESC's.

You have 3 fets for each phase for what i've seen you just take them off the board, get the gate signal for each one, made a costum board with more powerfull fets (like the parallel fets on an ESC) get this for each phase and you should be able to get the power needed to a more powerfull motor.

other thing you may had to do was regulate the gate signal in order to compensate the power and give a smooth operation.

Is there anyone whilling to try this too ??

Best Regards Samuel Antunes

Schlauncha
Charged up again

Post by Schlauncha » 08 Jan 2015, 13:49

The method that works involves one board that reads all four motor throttle values being output by the AR Drone, compares them to each other to get what the current differences are for pitch, yaw, roll, and average throttle percentage, and then uses that to re-mix into four new throttle values at a ratio adjustable by gain values, to feed to the new ESC's and motors.

The critical part that makes this work is the gains. The new aircraft will have significant differences in how it behaves to throttle changes, how much mass it has, how much yaw the props are each trying to enact, etc. Let's say the AR Drone was hovering, with four motor values of 50%. For our new esc's, motors, and overall different airframe, those ESC's might need to be at 60%, so there's a throttle gain needed for skewing that output. But you could just do that on four separate adapters to just make simple plug-in ESC's on each motor end, right? Nope, and here's why. Let's say you gave the drone a command to pitch forward. Now the front motors are going to drop a tiny bit, the rear motors are going to speed up, and the AR Drone is expecting its airframe to pitch forward at an expected rate. But while stock motor values may be front 55%, rear 75%, this much difference being fed to our new esc's and motors could cause too much or too little of a pitch change. Let's say it's a really nimble new airframe because it has powerful ESC's and motors- that 20% difference in motor values front to rear could cause the aircraft to pitch forward way too fast compared to what the AR Drone is expecting. The only way we can trick the AR Drone's board into flying an airframe with different properties, is if we can make it so when it gives a command like 20% throttle difference to pitch forward, the result MUST be that the AR Drone pitches forward at a rate matching what a stock AR Drone would. If it is too much or too little, it won't be able to compensate - it would either overcorrect if it was too touchy, or would drift in slow wobbles and eventually crash if the corrections were too small. We MUST be able to adjust gains for this. A straightforward "Front right motor original is 50%, so output 50% to the new ESC" would only work if the same differences in throttle percentage for a stock AR Drone caused the same pitch roll and yaw rates in the new airframe. It would be very unlikely you could get so lucky as to just guess it right when selecting components, especially since your new airframe will probably be much more powerful which translates to a tendency to have better control authority (more power to change its pitch/roll quickly).

For reference, here are youtube videos proving that the method works, to do it with comparing the 4 motor values on an Arduino, multiplying the underlying pitch/roll/yaw/throttle values against gains, and re-mixing to get PWM values for the new ESC's.

Direct link: http://www.youtube.com/v/KESy--N6ags

Direct link: http://www.youtube.com/v/XL-krUa-uTM

Direct link: http://www.youtube.com/v/dzPB9dL1Nzs

For the amount of explaining I've attempted to do in the course of this entire thread, for the fact that it ended up working, and for how many MANY MANY people insisted that it was wrong or wouldn't work or was impossible or could be done as simple ESC conversions (no 4-into-1 then decode then gains then remix) all I can say is look at the videos that work, and feel free to use the code that works. I'm not looking for arguments and if you are, then I don't care and you can design your own solution. If people cannot accept facts that this works and the method therefore must be sound, then why would I willingly engage in arguments about it? I once had a guy trying to argue with me that a (fullsize) plane we were standing in front of was impossible to be able to fly, that it's aerodynamics wouldn't physically work, etc. The plane is right in front of us, it was FLOWN to this airshow, so it is an obvious fact that it works - you are insane to think I have any obligation to argue in defense of such a fact. Same here. This works, I told you all, and I'm not arguing it anymore.

I will not be addressing this topic again. Bottom line, the AR Drone is a toy and you're better off to get an ArduPilot Mega if you're building a hobby-size multicopter. It's just the right way to do it, and I say that as a guy who did this AR Drone conversion and soon after moved on to regular hobby-level flight controllers. Good luck.

thaixeon76
Ready for take off
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by thaixeon76 » 09 Jan 2015, 07:08

you might be interest in these youtubes
they both seem to be BIGGER BADDER AR DRONES

Prototype Quadrotor with Machine Gun! "charlene"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPJMk2fgJU

Parrot AR Drone 3 Full Power Limited Edition *** NEWS !!! ***
Vol de test du nouveau AR Drone 3 Full Power Edition Limitée

Vidéo réalisée par un MultiRotor QuadriCopter avec une GoPro3 HD 1080P

*** SpyderQaD Full Carbone Naza V2 & GPS - T-Motor 900 kv - 10*5 ***
*** DSX-Pro Full Carbone - Naza & GPS - T-Motor 1100 kv - 8*4,5 ***
*** Radio 9XR Frsky DJT V8FR-II ***
*** FPV 5,8 Ghz - VTx 200 mW Boscam - VRx RC305 - PinWheels**

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF5KvTZephg
Last edited by thaixeon76 on 09 Jan 2015, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

Schlauncha
Charged up again

Post by Schlauncha » 09 Jan 2015, 16:31

thaixeon76 wrote:you might be interest in these youtubes
they both seem to be BIGGER BADDER AR DRONES
No, they are not. Neither of those is an AR Drone. First off, the one in the machine gun video doesn't have a single AR Drone part on it, and the one depicted as firing has been debunked as faked CG footage. In the second video, at the 0:41 mark you can see that the wiring inside of it has an R/C receiver wired to what looks like a Naza flight controller underneath it. This doesn't fly using the AR Drone control boards, it isn't controlled by a phone with FPV streaming to it, none of those things. It is a completely different quadcopter that simply has AR Drone styrofoam bodies attached to it.

My mod still used the AR Drone as the flight controller, still used the FPV and regular phone or other wifi control apps, and was actually "adding bigger motors to an AR Drone". The videos you linked to only depict other complete quadcopters, one of which was just wearing the AR Drone styrofoam bodies.

thaixeon76
Ready for take off

Post by thaixeon76 » 09 Jan 2015, 20:21

I just bought my brother a used ardrone 2.0 for christmas and really want to tinker with one my self so I found a v1.0 and it's not flyable
erratic take off and a flip crash.
so I googled for rc miru mod in hope of bypassing the glitchy wifi either on the drone or my beat up old ifone4 or gs3 and found this great site. might just be worn bushing three of the blade/shaft wiggle really freely.
I only read the first and this last page and watched your vdo (great work)
and thought I'd share what I thought was a really cool ardrone like machine gun quad, I don't think it's "cg" or who ever made it is a god, it looked better than any cg from aliens stargate starwar even avatar.
agree I don't think it's stock or even a parrot drone but he flew it with an ipad? hover and hold like it has ardrone sensors, and not a fancy $1000 controller. the quad looks really Big also.
and the second vdo, title says ardrone 3.0 but at the end of that vdo is scrolling credit that states "this is a fake vdo" but it doesn't say what quad except for the description in german or french again I am N00b in quadism and not too knowledgeable in all the different quads.
but I'd assume it's *** SpyderQaD Full Carbone Naza V2 & GPS - T-Motor 900 kv - 10*5 ***
sorry again I didn't know what a "naza v2" is till now (google)
so what you're saying is no way to make use of parrot ar drone sensor board/technology in any other quad but an ardrone?
can't swap and make use of aftermarket motor esc or rx tx?
what about the shitty central cross/frame couldn't it be replaced with a carbon fiber
sorry I guess if some one could point me to FAQ about what/where aftermarket upgrades are available Id be most gracious.

Schlauncha
Charged up again

Post by Schlauncha » 09 Jan 2015, 22:11

thaixeon76 wrote: so what you're saying is no way to make use of parrot ar AR.Drone sensor board/technology in any other quad but an ardrone?
can't swap and make use of aftermarket motor esc or rx tx?
what about the shitty central cross/frame couldn't it be replaced with a carbon fiber .
A quadcopter consists of a few things. There is the flight controller (the electronics that let it stabilize and receive control), there are motor controllers (located right out on the motors on the AR Drone), and there are things like batteries and motors and cameras, as well as the general frame and the body.

The mod this thread is about, is to upgrade an AR Drone (considering the electronics to be what "is" the AR Drone) to bigger esc's and motors, and naturally a larger stronger airframe. My point on those videos was that those aren't really AR Drones, those are other types of flight controllers and the one only had an AR Drone foam body strapped to some other regular quadcopter.

Regarding other quads having technology like the AR Drone in terms of sensors, the ArduPilot Mega or called the APM2.6 is a flight controller which has many optional sensors you can add to it, including a downward facing camera for "optical flow" like the AR Drone uses, and ultrasonic height sensors for more precise altitude control near the ground, like the AR Drone. GPS addon is very common too, even allowing autonomous stuff and safety "return to launch".

thaixeon76
Ready for take off

Post by thaixeon76 » 10 Jan 2015, 04:14

Very cool
But I think for me, I'll go the opposite as what y'all aiming for here and go smaller/lighter
Instead of adding more weight with big motor ESC batteries frame and changing canopy to accommodate all that to fit in.
I'm just gonna try shedding weight by discarding as much as I can vacuum forming lexan canopy and replacing stock to carbon fiber/graphite/aluminum,
And I hear there's a13-1800mah batt that doubles the run time.
arduino pro just arrived in the mail still waiting on Boca bearings

thaixeon76
Ready for take off

Post by thaixeon76 » 10 Jan 2015, 06:49

yeah that 1st vdo start to look like it may be generated via a computer :P

santunes
Battery Charged

Post by santunes » 10 Jan 2015, 22:32

Hi again.

I don't want to bring up any discussions, what i meant with it was a conservation with you to exchange ideas . I just thought this could be doable, but your are right on every thing you said after reading your post. I know it is real i've seen your awesome work ,but i'm a bit new to this.

We are just two crazy guys who like to do cool things!! 8-)

I would really be a gasp off luck to find an ideal combinations so everything would fly happily...

Well as soon as i'm better from this damned flu ill start gathering my parts to build your drone design.

Just a litle question. I would like to place a gimble or other type of support below the drone for a Gopro like camera. I know i have te leave the Ultrasoud sensors and the bottom camera at the bottom. The Ultra sounds are easy just grab a flat cable from a laptop and i'm ok but the other camera uses other type of connector like an FPC connector those are a bit harder to extend, as i would like to have the drone heart to be protected. so what is the minimum distance for the drone to consider a successfull landing.

Best regards to all

Samuel Antunes

thaixeon76
Ready for take off

Post by thaixeon76 » 11 Jan 2015, 12:57

here's something to ponder upon
again I'm only about aweek into learning drone stuff mainly looking for pics of ardrone rc mod to wire up my arduino pro mini
anyways cheap fpv caught my interest and strayed from my goal I stumble upon this
not sure what all he has hooked up but it's definitely an ar drone
wish he would swap the brittle frame out tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH9bU5ppVLo

thaixeon76
Ready for take off

Post by thaixeon76 » 11 Jan 2015, 13:34

dec 31 of 2012
sorry did not realize
so your vdo show successfully upgraded esc and motor
i went back and read thru but couldn't find the exact eureka moment
is there a vdo or guide/tutorial of the "ar-drone rc esc/motor mod" by Schlauncha and pawelsky of ARDrone-Flyers.com?