$200 prize for whoever can make this mod

Parrot SDK, Linux SDK, Java, PC, Mac, scripts for Parrot drones... etc.
strangerjle
Battery Charged

Re: $200 prize for whoever can make this mod

Post by strangerjle » 09 Sep 2013, 01:34

Awesome !!! Yes. I see the whites wire connect to the 5V & black wire connect to the ground on the ARDUINO BOARD...thought those are the output wires going onto the stock ESC BOARD. So, the USB going to power the FTDI BREAKOUT BOARD. What is the purpose of that board anyway ? I thought we are uploading the sketch thru the USB connect from the AR DRONE directly.

Anyhow. There are two sketches that he uploaded. I have to run the CALIBRATE CODES first and then re-run the other codes ? I just the last step on uploading the codes once I have wire up everything on the Quadcopter. I have to upload the codes first before connect the battery or connect the battery first before uploading ? I have to upload the codes over and over every time I'm flying ? If that's the case then I have to have the laptop with me in the field to run the codes before I start to fly ?

Schlauncha
Charged up again
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Post by Schlauncha » 09 Sep 2013, 02:24

strangerjle wrote:What is the purpose of that board anyway ? I thought we are uploading the sketch thru the USB connect from the AR DRONE directly.
The board is so you can do a live monitoring of the serial data during bench testing, to see what the original and new motor values are. This will indicate to you (more clearly than playing it by ear using motor speed with the props off) if the motors are correcting appropriately.
strangerjle wrote:Anyhow. There are two sketches that he uploaded. I have to run the CALIBRATE CODES first and then re-run the other codes ? I just the last step on uploading the codes once I have wire up everything on the Quadcopter. I have to upload the codes first before connect the battery or connect the battery first before uploading ? I have to upload the codes over and over every time I'm flying ? If that's the case then I have to have the laptop with me in the field to run the codes before I start to fly ?
Language barrier makes that tough to read. Hopefully I answer what you meant. Basically, the Arduino doesn't always output PWM values the same as an r/c receiver would. And even with an RC receiver, you should still properly calibrate the ESC's, so that they properly do 0 to 100%. So here, we have the Arduino use a different program just once so you can calibrate all four ESC's to set their 0 to 100% range to match the 0 to 100% range of the arduino. Although myself, I used a different program with a button. Actually I have no clue how this latest calibration program works. But the one I used is back somewhere in the previous pages of this thread somewhere, so you can search back through the pages looking for one of my last posts with attachments, and it should be there.

You just need to calibrate the ESC's once. After that, every time it should just be connect battery, wait for green lights, and fly. No laptop needed for flying every time. Or fly / land / fly if that's what it takes like mine did for some reason...

dm2saw
Ready for take off

Post by dm2saw » 18 Sep 2013, 13:24

Hey,

my Drone is ready for testing... I´ve test all without Props...

If i use The Ar Drone ESC with Motors all is fine..
Then i´ve cut one Motor from Ar Drone ESC Board and i´ve got an Error on my Smartfone Display " Motor Block" ..

What the Problem ?? I think i can use the Motor Boards without Motors...

And there is a Problem to.. If i press the Landing Button, all Motors Spin Down. Also if i hold the Drone 2 Meters over the Ground ?? Is that normal ??
Is that not Normal, i think i´ve some Problem with the ESC calib...

Thanx for Answer ....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pawelsky
Serious flight time
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by pawelsky » 21 Sep 2013, 12:54

dm2saw wrote:Then i´ve cut one Motor from Ar Drone ESC Board and i´ve got an Error on my Smartfone Display " Motor Block" ..

What the Problem ?? I think i can use the Motor Boards without Motors...
Did you disconnect two wires from each motor board as on the connection diagram?

dm2saw
Ready for take off

Post by dm2saw » 21 Sep 2013, 14:53

Ah ok...

I didn´t see that ..

So i ´ve to cut every red wire and the brown, grey, purple and ...

OK thank you .. i try it at the next Time ..

My first Test fly wasn´t so good ... After the start the Copter climbs up and suck his self under the Roof ..

So i ´ve to make some adjustment on the Trim Poti´s..
But at first i´ve Order new stronger Motor Mounts.. one of my mounts are cracked..
My Drone has 4 45 A Motors .. so it´s very much Power ..

P.S. The Mod is Awesome

Schlauncha
Charged up again

Post by Schlauncha » 21 Sep 2013, 15:31

I recommend to test outdoors, away from people and trees and things you don't want to fly into, step back far away from it before hitting Launch, and be VERY ready to hit the Emergency button.

If it took off like a rocket, then the TGAIN is too high. If it starts wobbling really fast, then your PGAIN and RGAIN's are likely too high. For most airframes, the PGAIN and RGAIN will almost always be at the same setting. If the aircraft has trouble keeping its nose in the right direction steady, increase the YGAIN, but don't go too much or you'll start noticing it drop altitude randomly and/or when giving a yaw command.

And also make sure sure SURE to do a props-off "flying by hand" test where you hit Launch and lift it up, and then tilt it just a little bit, listening to make sure the correct motors speed up or slow (the lower the motor relative to the others, the faster it should go. Yaw is more complicated to check, you have to turn and know which motors should speed up - physically turning the aircraft counter-clockwise should make the FR and RL motors speed up).

dm2saw
Ready for take off

Post by dm2saw » 22 Sep 2013, 23:41

Ok...

For luck i´ve do my first test indoor .. That has become a expensive fly away...

I think about a external panel for the trim´s... But there is the risk with the long wire..
I don´t have some protection Clothes like U .. But i´m realy scared that i touch one of the Props..
On orig. Ar Drone it realy hurts so i wan´t try this on this Drone..

There is a 2´nd Arduino (Mega) on board for log Tempreture Data from motors ESC´s LIPO´s.... later rpm, Cell Voltage,vibration of every motor, Amp.. and very very later i ´ll send the data back to ground station via XBee..
Also ..later ... the Mega will send a landing command if they detect to high temp, vib and so on.. or bring the drone home via gps and land it.
according how serious the detected problems are.. and of corse they controll a stabilized cam at later ..

Thats the plan..

I controll the 2´nd Arduino via IR remote and it has an LCD.. So i think about to take the adjusments via IR Remote and send it via PWM to the Arduino Nano ( Soozzy mod)..
But i think the PWM Signal need to long time and slow the soozzyDrino to much down..

At time i wait for my new Alu Motor mounts for my Hobbyking X666 Frame so i´ve time to work on my sketch...

There is follow problem at time

I need to recive the debug data from SoozzyDrino to the Mega an store the data on SD card..
But i can´t get further.

this is my Code

Code: Select all

void setup() {

void loop(){

String dataString = "";

dataString += String(time);
  dataString += ","; 
  dataString += String(Temp1);
  dataString += ","; 
  dataString += String(Temp2);
  dataString += ","; 
  dataString += String(Temp3);
  dataString += ","; 
  dataString += String(Temp4);
  dataString += ","; 
  dataString += String(Temp5);
  dataString += ","; 
  dataString += String(Temp6);
  dataString += ","; 
  dataString += String(Temp7);
  dataString += ","; 
  dataString += String(Temp8);
  dataString += ","; 
  dataString += String(Temp9);
  dataString += ","; 
  dataString += String(Temp10);
  dataString += ","; 
  dataString += String(S1);
  dataString += ","; 
  dataString += String(S2);
  dataString += ","; 
  dataString += String(S3);

if (Serial1.available()) {

byteRead = Serial1.read();

dataString += ","; 
  dataString += String(byteRead);
  }

File dataFile = SD.open("log/datalog.txt", FILE_WRITE);

// if the file is available, write to it:
  if (dataFile) {
    dataFile.println(dataString);
    dataFile.close();

maybe somebody of U can help me..

if i send test Data from another Arduino i become some Data in my log file but thats not what i send.. maybe thats ascii´s and i´ve convert it ??..

Sorry i programming Arduino since i reade this blog ( 2 Month aggo ) to find out that Arduino and the Soozzy Mod are the right ways to realize my idea.. Before i´ve some experience withe Basic later VBA but not much.

It is nice that there is an Interface for LABVIEW for both (Arduino and AR Drone) so that it is easier to realize a Frontend for the Drone without many experience with code writing..

Schlauncha
Charged up again

Post by Schlauncha » 23 Sep 2013, 00:20

I know the name "soozzy mod" had come up when I was trying to develop this with another programmer, but that never came through, so that name isn't really relevant to this mod. I go with calling it the "PWM output mod".

dm2saw
Ready for take off

Post by dm2saw » 24 Sep 2013, 04:25

to late 8-) ...

i use the name Soozzy Mod in my blog wehre i try to rebuild this mod..

Sorry for this ..
I´ve read that u think about this and another name for this mod..
So i´ve giv the child the name ...

Hope it´s no problem for u ...

Schlauncha
Charged up again

Post by Schlauncha » 24 Sep 2013, 10:35

Oh well, not a big deal. Just so long as Pawelsky gets credited for coming up with the code that lets the Arduino decipher the AR Drone's serial motor commands. It's a more catchy name than "PWM output mod" I suppose. But if you had to pick a more accurate name based on who developed this, it would instead be the "Pawzzy mod".

If you start doing test flights, make sure to take videos so we can see what it's doing. I can try to help provide input on your gain tuning from what I see. Such as, if it spins up and sits there for a bit before speeding up to fly, the Tgain is too low, or if it instantly takes off for the sky then the Tgain is too high. It should sit on the ground for just a moment before taking off, the way a normal AR Drone does (I always think of it like an airplane they're saying "Contact!", turning on the motors, and a moment later taking off).

pawelsky
Serious flight time

Post by pawelsky » 24 Sep 2013, 10:48

Schlauncha wrote:Oh well, not a big deal. Just so long as Pawelsky gets credited for coming up with the code that lets the Arduino decipher the AR Drone's serial motor commands. It's a more catchy name than "PWM output mod" I suppose. But if you had to pick a more accurate name based on who developed this, it would instead be the "Pawzzy mod".
I liked the FrankenDrone name the most, but I'm afraid it is already someone's trademark.

dm2saw
Ready for take off

Post by dm2saw » 24 Sep 2013, 16:34

FrankenDrone is also nice..

I know that Pawelsky has write the code .. i read the hole blog... ;)

And i look for Years for a mod like this... Than i get the idea that it can realized with a Arduino.. But i´ve nerver write a code like this with my low knows about programmig from my comondore Amiga 500 times :P .

And if i look at the code of Miru Mod , this code is relatively smale ,simple and easy to understand... Thanx the comments too..

I´ve think about to make a little donate to you both... So if u make a "donate" buttoun i use it ;)

It´s a little bit hard to make a Video and conntrol the Drone at same time..

But i´ve do some testflys and have get some experience with the adjust after i have some crashes ..

At first fly the TGAIN was to high.. I fly without Trimpotis.. So i´ve use the setup in the Sketch 1.0f for all...
The result was the Drone climb up to the upside of the room and suck up on the roof ? ceiling ? .....

After this i try it with 0.5f for all and the Power wasn´t enough.. so i begin to raise the Variables ..

At 0.7f i has an crash because a Ar Drone Motor board burns up because i had a short circuit... So i become a "Motor blocked" message but the props don´t stop spinning..
The Drone do a flip on my bed eat all my bedsheet and breaks a motormount..

Now i wait for new parts and have time to build and write codes for my Arduino Mega to log and watch the hole sensors that i´ll build in in that Drone ..

But i still have the problem to save the serial Data that came in from FrankenDroino :lol: to 2´nd Arduino on SD´Card..

[youtube]http://youtu.be/M-mgGKxpuMo[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-mgGKx ... ata_player

pawelsky
Serious flight time

Post by pawelsky » 24 Sep 2013, 22:10

dm2saw wrote:But i still have the problem to save the serial Data that came in from FrankenDroino :lol: to 2´nd Arduino on SD´Card.
Try this

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9530

This is a really easy to use and fully configurable serial logger.

dm2saw
Ready for take off

Post by dm2saw » 25 Sep 2013, 05:59

Oh ok...

looks really easy to use ..
So i think i try this for loging the debug data..

Thank u ..

dm2saw
Ready for take off

Post by dm2saw » 06 Oct 2013, 06:37

Ohhh, mistake ...

I´ve found a big problem on my Drone.. I´ve a different motor. There are 3 x 1000 KV and one 1250 KV motor. I´ve order 4 of the same one but become that..
They look like the same. I´ve wrote a little Sketch that spin up every motor one after another and i can hear that one of the motors has an higher RPM as the other one..

I think that explains the lift up to the ceiling.
So i´ve to wait for a new motor :-( .. But good to find the problem befor i crash the Drone once again.