Win32 demo app

Parrot SDK, Linux SDK, Java, PC, Mac, scripts for Parrot drones... etc.
zbee
Ready for take off

Win32 demo app

Post by zbee » 22 Oct 2010, 07:40

had aplay with the win32 from the sdk, must say it actually works very nicley with a little acer 10" netbook, now if i had the clevers
a controler like this
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1168
would make it perfect, my big fingers are have issues using the iphone, i have a 3g and a iphone 4 and i am used to using real controllers
using the iphone accselorometers i crash and burn, disabled i think i am pushing my thumbs through the screen, so hopefully a win app will be developed that can use a controller then i will be more compfortable;)

Symon
Site Admin
Drone Type: Jumping Sumo

Re: Win32 demo app

Post by Symon » 22 Oct 2010, 08:03

So you got the exe compiled? my Visual Studio didn't want to know :(

Any chance you can share? I have a few controllers, I'll see what works.

zbee
Ready for take off

Post by zbee » 22 Oct 2010, 08:12

nope just used this exe, launch from the folder, make sure the video is active window
You can then control the drone by using your gamepad, or use the keyboard with the following
jeys :
Key Action
8 or I Fly forward
2 or K Fly backward
4 or J Fly leftward
6 or L Fly rightward
A or + Fly up
Q or - Fly down
7 or U Rotate anticlockwise
9 or O Rotate clockwise
Space Takeoff/Land
Escape or Tab Send emergency1/recover from emergency signal
F Send flat trim command
G Hover
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Symon
Site Admin
Drone Type: Jumping Sumo

Post by Symon » 22 Oct 2010, 08:18

Nice one mate. Thanks

buffythesaint
Ready for take off

Post by buffythesaint » 22 Oct 2010, 18:36

I just tried this and was able to get a live picture. I forgot to unpar at first but it worked. I haven't tried to fly yet. I have a USB RealFlight sim controller, like in the link. Do I need to configure it or just plug and play?

buffythesaint
Ready for take off

Post by buffythesaint » 22 Oct 2010, 18:59

I tried a powered hover and it worked. You must hit the "F" key, flat trim, before it will launch. After launch, the drone wanted to move back and to the right. I have no idea how to trim it with the PC. Any more info on this?

I tried the "G" button to get it to hover but it didn't work. It wanted to fly away. Hope it improves, with ps3 controller would be nice.

kvaz
Newcomer

Post by kvaz » 22 Oct 2010, 23:30

I have also tried win app. Was able to connect to drone, video was ok, motors started with spacebar command. However app stopped each time after 10sek with connection timeout error. Has anyone experienced this?
My PC is Win 7 starter netbook Lenovo Ideapad S10-3.

zbee
Ready for take off

Post by zbee » 23 Oct 2010, 02:50

kvaz wrote:I have also tried win app. Was able to connect to drone, video was ok, motors started with spacebar command. However app stopped each time after 10sek with connection timeout error. Has anyone experienced this?
My PC is Win 7 starter netbook Lenovo Ideapad S10-3.
sounds to be a firewall issue, firs time i fired it up win7 i had the firewall popup once i allowed it all was good, this app is purely a demo so alot of functions etc would not be in it. after playing a bit, whatever the last settings used on a iphone is the default, so if it was running in outddor mode then thats what the win app will use, i found the controls are very positive though, i understand theres people working on a win setup so i would say we will see stuff down the track

g00bd0g
Ready for take off

Post by g00bd0g » 23 Oct 2010, 03:24

I can't wait 'till someone gets this working with standard windows "game controllers". I would love to be able to fly from my laptop, with a joystick, full-screen, while recording video and using a directional wi-fi antenna for better range.

It's worse than waiting to open Christmas presents.

nogero
Ready for take off

Post by nogero » 24 Oct 2010, 03:42

Yes, I would very much like to have it working so I could use a Windows 7 laptop - or even better a linux laptop. One would think this would have benefit of improved WIFI signal from a laptop antenna. I'll have to play with the SDK I guess. I can capture video from any windows app, so that would solve that objective too!

I would think if the ar.drone could be controlled from a PC it would vastly expand their sales and market!

Jacob
Newcomer

Post by Jacob » 26 Oct 2010, 13:12

Hi

I've just uploaded a video on YouTube of me flying the AR.Drone using the Win32_demo and my PS3-controller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4cl_vlRGX0

//Jacob

dero
Newcomer

Post by dero » 26 Oct 2010, 13:35

Nice movie :)

Are the "hickups" in the drones feed caused by the recording or is this the data you get from the drone?
It seems to be smoother when I use it with the win32 app.

kokketiel
Ready for take off

Post by kokketiel » 06 Nov 2010, 22:14

I got the PS3 controller working with the Win32 demo app this afternoon. It basically worked out of the box - I don't recall making any changes to the source code, other than project settings. My development machine is a Vista box, but our netbook runs XP, so I had to compile with pthreads. I also didn't realize that for keyboard input, the video window should have focus, not the status window :).

I see no reason why this won't work with any other standard windows controller. It looks like the input in the app comes from DirectX, so any controller that shows up in the game controllers control panel should work, or be very easy to make to work.

The drone drifts a bit when I fly it with the PS3 controller, but I think it's because the PS3 controller is not very precise. I.e. it doesn't always output neutral when you let go of the stick. It definitely seems to be much more precise to fly with the controller than with the iPod.

All in all I'm quite impressed with the SDK and sample programs.

BTW, did anyone else notice that some of the headers have dates from as early as 2007 :). Parrot must have been working on this for a while.

MAPGPS
Strange wobble

Post by MAPGPS » 07 Nov 2010, 01:20

I noticed some source files have dates from as early as 2007.
This is consistent with publishes which reported that Parrot started working on AR.Drone 4 years ago.
I'm impressed the technologies used are so advanced (I heard some are from war industry!).

konesmeijer
Battery Charged

Post by konesmeijer » 29 Nov 2010, 19:16

I've just downloaded the win_32 app, works very nice but the app doesnt response to my joystick. Does anybody know how i can steer the drone with my joystick. My joystick is a plug and play joustick.