Charging on the landing pad

Mirumod, Macgyver, hull, cam, propeller, leg, cross, ball bearing mods... etc.
fcreager
Newcomer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Charging on the landing pad

Post by fcreager » 20 May 2011, 21:29

I am considering attaching contacts from the battery charging port to the landing gear. I would have copper surfaces on my landing pad which are connected to the charger. The goal is to have the battery fully charged and the drone ready to fly at a moment's notice. Does anyone forsee problems with this idea?

yellowboy63
Thinking of bearings

Re: Charging on the landing pad

Post by yellowboy63 » 21 May 2011, 02:00

Are you planning on leaving your drone plugged in (on) all the time?

fcreager
Newcomer

Post by fcreager » 21 May 2011, 04:11

That's the idea. I'm asking to see if that is feasible.

yellowboy63
Thinking of bearings

Post by yellowboy63 » 21 May 2011, 04:59

If your leaving the drone powered on then it's not feasible as the main board has a tendency to overheat.

fcreager
Newcomer

Post by fcreager » 21 May 2011, 09:07

Ok. That's exactly the sort of thing I need to know. Thanks so much.

kamuchi
Ready for take off

Post by kamuchi » 21 May 2011, 09:44

Or build a 140mm fan in the center of the landing pad to cool from below :)

TVH7
Ready for take off

Post by TVH7 » 22 May 2011, 14:23

Nice idea kumuchi haha :p

marack
Newcomer

Post by marack » 12 Jun 2011, 01:42

From my understanding, you should never charge LiPo batteries from the discharge ports, or allow them to continuosly charge. Now, you could use four contact pads on your base and still get a ballanced charge, just not sure how that would work while there is still a load on the battery. Another issue would be landing on anything that may conduct or be abrasive to the landing gear contacts. I do like the idea, may toy arounnd with it myself.

kemper
Ready for take off

Post by kemper » 22 Aug 2011, 03:00

fcreager: you might wanna take a read on this http://xs3d.kaist.ac.kr/paperdata/J8-20 ... tforms.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there is one of the references of a MIT guy who done the thing you wanted to with a draganfly, but his approach was to isolate the batteries with MOSFETs (a kind of transistor) rather than relays (a kind of mechanical switch that can be controlled electrically). The other problem is to match the terminals properly. I put some ideas on that paper, but my explanation may be a little bit too complicated (i have issues explaining things sometimes lol) so feel free to ask =)

edit: the paper link was changed to the proper paper, although if you are curious the other paper has some ideas on changing batteries (which me and my partner are working on): http://xs3d.kaist.ac.kr/paperdata/2011/Automatic.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (there will be a more complete version later this year, i will edit when we get it published)

Schlauncha
Charged up again
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Post by Schlauncha » 22 Aug 2011, 04:14

Make a plug that is a small PCB which goes between the battery, its balance lead, and the drone's power plug. It extends down to underneath the drone to an omnidirectional contact pad (something where the drone lands with its feet going into cones to locate, and then concentric rings provide +,-, and balance) and then upon landing and the drone's weight hitting a microswitch, it sends power up to that PCB to flip a normally-closed relay open, cutting power to the drone. Then the balance leads get their feed from a stock drone charger in this base unit. Upon the drone charger emitting green light, perhaps a color-filtered light sensor detects that charging is complete, and it disengages power to the relay on the drone, thus allowing it to turn back on. Every few minutes, it turns back off and re-engages balance charging. This keeps the drone ready to be connected to and flown most of the time.

kemper
Ready for take off

Post by kemper » 22 Aug 2011, 13:58

I actually did something similar on my freshman year, but I used a microcontroller onboard of an helicopter to perform the control of the relay, gave a bit more protection to unwanted shut-down signals. There are another couple of things you have to worry, like guaranteeing that power won't come in the wrong direction, and especially to make sure no voltage drop happens between the battery terminals and the balance charger. If anybody is interested I can send my research report regarding recharge platforms with a couple of ideas and implementation hints.

The problem is that recharging does not pay-off for Li-po batts (85min downtime for 10min flight), that's why we are researching methods for exchanging the battery for a new one. Analysis on worthiness of recharging / exchanging can be found in both papers I mentioned on the previous post =)