Login to disable ads!

Poor video quality when using WiFi extender

Router, repeater (extender), GPS unit, antenna, tablet, FPV goggle, HD battery, charger, carrying case... etc.
DeathBySnuggles
Battery Charged
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Poor video quality when using WiFi extender

Post by DeathBySnuggles » 24 Nov 2014, 00:44

Sorry if this has been discussed. I've searched and haven't found relevant info.

I recently bought a Hawking HWREN2 Wifi Extender for my AR 2.0. Had some initial struggles setting it up because I didn't realize I had the flight apps set to pair mode. After sorting that, I'm able to use the repeater no problem. My issue though, is the video quality is pretty bad when using the repeater. I see the video quality meter dropping to 0 frequently with the drone no further than 20 feet away from the AP. I have tried using a different SSID for the AP so I knew I was connecting to it, and using the same SSID as the drone. If I go to the drone direct, the video is normal.

Very simple config on the AP side. Just set it to connect to the drone SSID. I have not tweaked any of the other settings. Is there something I'm doing wrong that is causing the issue, or are there some settings I should change in the AP?

Thanks in advance.

DeathBySnuggles
Battery Charged
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Re: Poor video quality when using WiFi extender

Post by DeathBySnuggles » 25 Nov 2014, 17:31

Following a suggestion by garrock (thanks dude!), I tested the repeater outdoors in an open area and found the video performance to be acceptable. So around the house and yard, connecting directly to drone is better, out in an large open environment away from houses, the repeater is the move.

pbody2013
Serious flight time
Drone Type: Bebop

Re: Poor video quality when using WiFi extender

Post by pbody2013 » 14 Jan 2015, 02:03

Thanks for the info!
"It seems to be flying alright, but it's making a funny noise"

pbody2013
Serious flight time
Drone Type: Bebop