Flight Recorder "on the cheap"

Router, repeater (extender), GPS unit, antenna, tablet, FPV goggle, HD battery, charger, carrying case... etc.
Chrystall
Ready for take off
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Re: Flight Recorder "on the cheap"

Post by Chrystall » 23 Jul 2014, 15:58

I have installed the Navistick on the drone. Unfortunately it cannot discover satellites every time. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Yesterday it discovered 5 satellites in the morning, then none during the rest of the day. And I was out on a wide open field. I use it with 2 Parrot HD batteries, so that cannot be a problem. But I have a wheel antenna installed with a mast. Do you think that is the source of problems?

Chrystall
Ready for take off

Post by Chrystall » 24 Jul 2014, 22:51

Just a follow up to my last post here, the Navistick by now is totally unable to find satellites. In the AR Drone Flight Pro however, the location of the drone is displayed in the Gulf Of Guinea. Odd... What's happening here? Isn't is possible that the navistick should be reset? When I programmed it, that night it found satellites, but by now it doesn't find any, all day.

Kyrt
Strange wobble

Post by Kyrt » 27 Jul 2014, 10:17

Have you connected the navistick to your PC in the meantime? Depending on what you access it with, you can reset the configuration (eg gpsd did this).

Figuring out if it works on you PC is a good troubleshooting step though.

Carl190_1
Just flips over

Post by Carl190_1 » 02 Aug 2014, 13:40

Kyrt, Do you know if while using the Navistick with the AR Drone that the drone sends commands to the Navistick that would stay after unplugging?
I'm in a discussion with the manufacturer regarding problems that I'm having with erratic behavior. Using with a computer GPS viewer
some times just will not start the GPS an/or produce garbled messages.
Thanks ,
Carl

pawelsky
Serious flight time
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by pawelsky » 02 Aug 2014, 13:50

Carl190_1 wrote:Kyrt, Do you know if while using the Navistick with the AR Drone that the drone sends commands to the Navistick that would stay after unplugging?
I'm in a discussion with the manufacturer regarding problems that I'm having with erratic behavior. Using with a computer GPS viewer
some times just will not start the GPS an/or produce garbled messages.
Thanks ,
Carl
Drone does send messages to the GPS (switches it to binary mode, and sets the configuration, etc.), given the Navistick has a backup battery these setting will stay for some time.

Don't use GPS Viewer as it can only read NMEA data, use SiRFDemo which can also read SiRF binary data.

Carl190_1
Just flips over

Re: Flight Recorder

Post by Carl190_1 » 03 Aug 2014, 13:36

Kyrt wrote:Have you connected the navistick to your PC in the meantime? Depending on what you access it with, you can reset the configuration (eg gpsd did this).

Kyrt Can you repost the this one: " you can reset the configuration (eg gpsd did this)."

I can't find post.

Thanks

Kyrt
Strange wobble

Post by Kyrt » 05 Aug 2014, 00:02

Carl190_1 wrote:
Kyrt wrote:Have you connected the navistick to your PC in the meantime? Depending on what you access it with, you can reset the configuration (eg gpsd did this).

Kyrt Can you repost the this one: " you can reset the configuration (eg gpsd did this)."

I can't find post.

Thanks
Dont know what post you are referring to. I'm saying its possible that an application can change the configuration, like the baud rate. eg GPSd changes the configuration of the GPS when you launch it.

But TBH the drone should set the configuration properly itself in most cases. I'm afraid I can't really remember all the details of what the drone does with the GPS stick though so I'm not really much use in this.

Chrystall
Ready for take off

Re: Flight Recorder

Post by Chrystall » 05 Aug 2014, 03:30

No, I haven't connected it to a PC since programming. However, recently, after connecting the battery, I place the Navistick outside of the room under the hull. I lay it on one of the propellers for it to be as far as possible from the wheel antenna. And in that case it finds satellites most of the time. After that I place it back of course under the hull. This way it usually keeps connection. I think the wheel antenna disturbs it in finding satellites in the beginning. If I don't remove it from under the hull, it almost never finds a satellite.

Carl190_1
Just flips over

Post by Carl190_1 » 05 Aug 2014, 12:06

My question was about "GPSd" which I guess is GPS Demo program!?

My latest discovery when using Navistick with AR.Drone as a Flight Recorder & GPS is that after use with the Drone I can not connect with Navistick Viewer or
SiRF Demo so I just leave it disconnected overnight. See Pawelsky post above.

Kyrt
Strange wobble

Flight Recorder "on the cheap"

Post by Kyrt » 06 Aug 2014, 18:38

Carl190_1 wrote:My question was about "GPSd" which I guess is GPS Demo program!?

My latest discovery when using Navistick with AR.Drone as a Flight Recorder & GPS is that after use with the Drone I can not connect with Navistick Viewer or
SiRF Demo so I just leave it disconnected overnight. See Pawelsky post above.
no GPSd is not GPS demo. As I explained, I only mentioned it as an example for Chrystall of a situation where plugging the navistick into a PC might possibly change the configuration of the stick (eg the baud rate) without you realising it, which theoretically might (although unlikely) prevent the drone from using it. But Chrystall has since found the problem it seems anyway.

So, what is your question?

phuchu
Newcomer

Post by phuchu » 18 Nov 2014, 15:58

Can someone please point me in the directions of the Parrot drivers? Perhaps a zip file? or an FTP address? TIA

oripessach
Newcomer

Post by oripessach » 17 Dec 2014, 21:58

Just a quick note if you're interested in trying this: I got one of these, and it kinda works. It does tend to lose fix and report the last known coordinates to the drone, which caused some interesting crashes. I wouldn't trust this thing in autonomous flight.

gtonini
Battery Charged

Post by gtonini » 29 Jan 2015, 20:01

Hi

Just wondering if someone here can help me out I followed the directions to change the stick I used the le version. All went well the problem is when I put the stick in the parrot drone it reports that the gps is there on the info page . But the light wont come on to indicate gps in the flight software or the other indicator for the accuracy range. I using the newest flight software thats offered for android 2.4. Another thing if I try to run it in seri demo if I set it for comp port 4 and baud rate 9600 it does nothing but if I set it on random it starts
reading like crazy can anyone offer any help please. THANKS GARY

farincoolie
Newcomer

Post by farincoolie » 14 Feb 2015, 05:48

I'm just programmed the Navistick LE to use with my AR Drone 2.0 and its working with AR Free Flight. Has anyone been able to get the Navistick to work with QCGroundControl (QCG)? I've tried both WiFi and Serial connections (by plugging the dongle directly into my PC) and in both cases QCG the Communications screen will say connected but QCG will report Not connected. My guess is that the Navistick is not correctly setup to talk using the MavLink protocol. Can someone post those connection settings, this is what I've used thus far:

WiFi Connection -
Link Type: UDP
Protocol: MAVLinK
IP: 192.168.1.1 (IP AR Drone assigned itself)
Port: 14550

Thanks

Darklo
Just flips over

Post by Darklo » 15 Feb 2015, 19:11

farincoolie wrote:I've tried both WiFi and Serial connections (by plugging the dongle directly into my PC)
I think you've probably confused the protocol that the drone uses to talk to ground control station (MAVLink over wifi) with the protocol for talking to the GPS stick (SiRF binary over USB serial).

Plugging the stick into PC will not work, it needs to be connected to the drone directly.

The serial connection you saw in QGroundControl is for other aircraft and is not applicable to AR.Drone, it only works over wifi.

There is no need to specify the drone's IP address, it works automatically. If you have modified connection settings, it'll be probably easier to just reset all settings and start over: in QGC settings there is a checkbox "Delete all saved settings on next boot".
Then you need to open QGC settings and change "Default: Generic MAVLink and serial links" to "Wifi: Generic MAVLink, wifi or serial links", then restart QGC and connect to AR.Drone wifi network. Also make sure that QGC is not blocked by your PC's firewall.