Flight Recorder "on the cheap"

Router, repeater (extender), GPS unit, antenna, tablet, FPV goggle, HD battery, charger, carrying case... etc.
pawelsky
Serious flight time
Drone Type: Bebop

Re: Flight Recorder "on the cheap"

Post by pawelsky » 02 Dec 2013, 00:42

Carl190_1 wrote:How do I wire two USB female receptacles to a male USB connector?

I want to plug in my Navistick LE and a memory stick into the AR Drone 2.0.

Daisy chain ? I've looked every where on the web and can't find a wiring diagram.
Any USB 2.0 HUB will work (the smaller the better of course)

TiagoAlvane
Newcomer
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Post by TiagoAlvane » 15 Jan 2014, 17:01

Hi everyone!I'm giving the first steps on a DIY project with my AR.Drone 2.0.
I'm trying to figure how the usb communication is made.
When you plug the navistick in Drone's usb, which protocol (or which mode) the communication is made?

I'm wondering if it's possible to upload a .xml file with a flight route in navistick then plug it in Drone's usb and then the Drone does the flight route uploaded in navistick (It could sound a little bit weird, it's just an idea).

I'm not sure if I'm in the right thread. My apologies if i'm not :) (sorry about my bad english too).

Thank you!

pawelsky
Serious flight time

Post by pawelsky » 15 Jan 2014, 17:45

TiagoAlvane wrote:I'm wondering if it's possible to upload a .xml file with a flight route in navistick then plug it in Drone's usb and then the Drone does the flight route uploaded in navistick (It could sound a little bit weird, it's just an idea).
Yes, it is pretty much what QGroundControl does. It uploads (via FTP) the flight plan file and then tells the drone to execute it. Search the forum for flightplan.csv to get more details.

TiagoAlvane
Newcomer

Post by TiagoAlvane » 27 Jan 2014, 01:34

Yes, it is pretty much what QGroundControl does. It uploads (via FTP) the flight plan file and then tells the drone to execute it. Search the forum for flightplan.csv to get more details.
Hi pawelsky! Thank you for your support.
Have you any idea if it's possible for the Drone read the flightplan.csv (or similar) via USB?
My idea is if it's possible to do what QGroundControl does via usb, instead FTP.

Thank you a lot for your help ;)

pawelsky
Serious flight time

Post by pawelsky » 27 Jan 2014, 01:56

TiagoAlvane wrote:Hi pawelsky! Thank you for your support.
Have you any idea if it's possible for the Drone read the flightplan.csv (or similar) via USB?
My idea is if it's possible to do what QGroundControl does via usb, instead FTP.
I think I need to correct my statement about FTP. I don't think QGroungControl does use FTP to upload the flight plan, I believe it actually uses Mavlink waypoint protocol to set/get waypoints.

Anyway, eventually the flightplan ends up in the /data/flightplan.csv file so if you write a script that (e.g. at bootup) copies it either from USB stick or the FTP directory you could probably achieve what you want.

Android/iOS app guys will probably have more experience here.

P.S. I think we are going a bit off topic here...

darkith
Newcomer

Post by darkith » 09 Feb 2014, 04:05

Modified two units, seem to work fine. I had problems getting them to pickup satellites at first, either on the drone or using SIRFdemo. Strange thing is, that once I used the USB extension cable, it seemed to pick them up *much* quicker. Don't know if it's my imagination, or if the cable provided a better ground plane, or if it just reduced the noise getting into the unit.

D.

Kyrt
Strange wobble

Post by Kyrt » 27 Feb 2014, 16:30

Sorry for my absence, I just wanted to briefly reply to add to those with problems getting satellites that I too initially got nothing, then eventually it just worked and from then on worked every time. I didn't find an exact reason, it could be the extension cable (e.g. interference) but I couldn't come up with a great theory.

erik5678
Newcomer

Re: Sv: Flight Recorder "on the cheap"

Post by erik5678 » 09 Mar 2014, 17:17

Hi!

I'm new to this forum as well as the AR.Drone, and found this post after some Google research. I'm going to get this device and try it out, since I consider the official flight recorder to be ridiculously overpriced.

Just to confirm before placing my order, there are no known SirfStar IV devices like this one that can be modified to work with the AR.Drone?

Joris
Ready for take off

Re: Sv: Flight Recorder

Post by Joris » 17 Mar 2014, 01:35

Awesome find, thanks!
erik5678 wrote:Hi!
Just to confirm before placing my order, there are no known SirfStar IV devices like this one that can be modified to work with the AR.Drone?
Well, asides from pawelsky's soldering solution, we seem out of luck.. though if I understand correctly, the 'just' need to find a GPS stick with CP2102 UART chip in it (I'm not sure if any NMEA-compatible GPS receiver will work, or if it has to be a Sirf).

Either way, finding a compatible GPS stick is not easy, let alone with a hub&micro-SD cardreader included.

I favour the Sirf IV too, it should be much faster in getting a fix (my Sirf 3 GPS logger lay unused in a bag somewhere because of the trouble getting a fix.. though it might also be that specific receiver).

Besides, as I'm living in The Netherlands, the Navistick 2gb would set me back $49,74

pawelsky
Serious flight time

Re: Sv: Flight Recorder

Post by pawelsky » 17 Mar 2014, 01:39

Joris wrote:if I understand correctly, the 'just' need to find a GPS stick with CP2102 UART chip in it (I'm not sure if any NMEA-compatible GPS receiver will work, or if it has to be a Sirf).
It has to be SiRF. NMEA GPS with just CP2102 will not work (unless you construct a NMEA to SiRF adapter).

brzez
Newcomer

Post by brzez » 21 Jun 2014, 04:22

Carl,

Does the Navistick LE have a SD card slot? It does not seem like it from the picture but it may be on the other side.

Thanks,

-- John

Carl190_1
Just flips over

Post by Carl190_1 » 21 Jun 2014, 13:43

I don't know if this question was directed to me. But no the Navistick LE that I have does not have a SD card slot. That feature would really make a big difference, I wish I had it.
Last edited by Carl190_1 on 22 Jun 2014, 16:12, edited 2 times in total.

brzez
Newcomer

Post by brzez » 21 Jun 2014, 21:25

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I'll spend the extra money to get a 2gb or 4gb version.

-- John

Chrystall
Ready for take off

Post by Chrystall » 01 Jul 2014, 15:18

How does this Navistick GPS dongle works when it comes to keeping Altitude? I read in the Parrot flight recorder review, that when it is installed, the drone flies more stable and keeps altitude better. How about this one? I would also like to use it to find the drone when it falls off in tall grass. Does this stick along with the flight software support such tracking features?

Kyrt
Strange wobble

Post by Kyrt » 02 Jul 2014, 12:20

It works exactly like the parrot flight recorder. I can't say I've ever really noticed a difference in altitude hold but I've not paid attention to that.

With regards to tracking, again like the flight recorder you can see the drone on a map in freeflight. The location will of course only be updated as long as you have a wifi connection to it.