I have NOT heard of this before--"My Drone Won't Take Off"

Problems of AR Drone 1.0, Freeflight 1.
jalexartis
Thinking of bearings
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I have NOT heard of this before--"My Drone Won't Take Off"

Post by jalexartis » 26 Oct 2010, 14:46

My NEW drone has stopped flying, i.e., it will not lift off the ground--take off. I saw this after replacing my bushings with bearings [as discussed elsewhere on this board]. All the indicators are proper. The propellers spin up. The right-side attempts to lift, almost enough to flip the drone over from the right. The left side does not seem to have the thrust to complete the take off. My guess is there is some other problem that just happened to show after the bearing replacement. Here is what I have done:

Reset the drone
Returned to default settings
Flat trimmed multiple times
Tried both hulls
Recharged battery
Disconnected battery
Check the position and rotation of the gearing and propellers. The 4 seem the same. I find nothing to slow the left-side down.
Checked connections of all boards
Waited overnight
Tried all the available apps
Replace the bearings
Switched propellers [to left for two right]

I have repeated many on the actions above [over & over again].

What will keep the drone from taking off? There is no weight added. If bushing switch-out related, it seems putting them back would return me to flying. It did not. I currently have the bearings back, Each shaft rotates freely. I hope for help so that I can get flying again.

Thanks!

Jim

matrix961
Strange wobble
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Re: I have NOT heard of this before--"My Drone Won't Take Of

Post by matrix961 » 26 Oct 2010, 15:06

Check the resistance of the props when spinning them. I just replaced my bushings with bearings and noticed that the bearings were thicker. This caused the shaft to not come up through the prop enough so when I finally got the lock clip on it was way too tight and the prop was hard to turn by hand. I had to take the props off and I chose to mod the top of the props by shaving down around the hole so the shaft would come up enough to easily apply the lock clip without causing too much tension. After that my props spun very freely by hand.

If you put the bushings back and it still won't take off it might be something else then. Did you put any lubrication on the shaft etc? Do they still spin freely by hand with little resistance? Also make sure you have the correct props on the correct motors. There are specific props for each motor location. If they get mixed up you will have issues.

You should also check to make sure the motors are tight and the motor pinion gear isn't pushed down too far. I saw an issue before where somehow the pinion gear on the motor was pushed down too much causing resistance when the motor was spinning.

matrix961

jalexartis
Thinking of bearings

Post by jalexartis » 26 Oct 2010, 15:27

Thanks Matrix,

Yes, I did check the resistance. They each spin freely. I do not seem to have a binding or clearance problem. My shaft were dry. I wiped each with a dab of silicon oil and then wiped that off with my fingers. I did not have a clearance problem putting the cir-clips back. Bushings or bearings--the propellers seem to all spin the same.

I may now have a mix-up in props. I looked for identifying marks, but find none. Based on all I have done, I'd suspect that. How can I determine which prop goes where? I'd happily order a new set today, if the new props are marked to say which motor.

I have checked the tightness of each motor. All was well until I did this change. Apparently I did something incorrect. I appreciate your help.

Jim

jalexartis
Thinking of bearings

Post by jalexartis » 26 Oct 2010, 16:01

My research tells me there are front and rear sets of propellers. I see no markings. How does one tell which is which? Thanks! --jim

I also do not find propellers at Amazon.com or Brookstone.

daveyoi
Ready for take off

Post by daveyoi » 26 Oct 2010, 16:21

There is a diagram and a top down view of the drone showing the blades position in the SDK Development Document.. might not be exactly what you are looking for - but a start.

Attached the pdf.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

matrix961
Strange wobble
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Post by matrix961 » 26 Oct 2010, 16:40

I pulled this from the prop replacement video. The props are in sets of "A" & "C". The markings for these letters are on the bottom on the props.

matrix961
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jalexartis
Thinking of bearings

Post by jalexartis » 26 Oct 2010, 16:48

daveyoi wrote:There is a diagram and a top down view of the drone showing the blades position in the SDK Development Document.. might not be exactly what you are looking for - but a start.

Attached the pdf.
...and a good start, although I do not have a SDK.

The problem is fixed!!! I found the diagram I think you are referring to:

LF RF
(C) (A)

LR RR
(A) (C)

The propellers are marked with either an "A" or "C" [2 letters each] at the hub [center] of the prop. Install them as I indicate above and you will not have the problem I experienced.

I will publish a caution in my blog. I do not know how I mixed the propellers up, but at lease 2 were not where they needed to be. My caution is do one bearing replacement at a time and it cannot happen.

Thanks to the member of this board for your help. This puppy is put to bed!

THANKS!

Jim

jalexartis
Thinking of bearings

Post by jalexartis » 26 Oct 2010, 16:51

matrix961 wrote:I pulled this from the prop replacement video. The props are in sets of "A" & "C". The markings for these letters are on the bottom on the props.

matrix961
daveyoi wrote:There is a diagram and a top down view of the drone showing the blades position in the SDK Development Document.. might not be exactly what you are looking for - but a start.

Attached the pdf.
You are both SPOT ON. As you see in my last post--That is the solution to my problem. Now, if I had only reviewed the prop replacement video. I've seen them all--just did not go back to look again to end this 18 hour--hiccup.

Thanks to all!!!

Jim

jalexartis
Thinking of bearings

Post by jalexartis » 26 Oct 2010, 18:55

Thanks again to everyone. My cautionary piece is now up.

Jim

larryoc
Ready for take off

Post by larryoc » 18 Nov 2010, 04:08

I'm having a similer problem with my drone not lifting off. However, the led's on the right side, as you face the front, are red, during startup. The led's on the left are green, along with the led at the bottom center. Does the red led's indicate a connection problem? They're green when I first connect to the drone and turn red during startup.

jalexartis
Thinking of bearings

Post by jalexartis » 18 Nov 2010, 04:13

larryoc wrote:I'm having a similer problem with my drone not lifting off. However, the led's on the right side, as you face the front, are red, during startup. The led's on the left are green, along with the led at the bottom center. Does the red led's indicate a connection problem? They're green when I first connect to the drone and turn red during startup.
From the User Guide:
LED behaviour Meaning
The 4 LEDs are red Power is connected
Each LED flashes red, one after the
other
The motors are starting up.
The 4 LEDS flash green The AR.Drone is currently taking off or landing.
The 2 front LEDs are green
The 2 rear LEDs are red
The AR.Drone is currently flying. These colours make it easy for
you to distinguish the front and the rear of the AR.Drone (when
at a distance from the device).
The 4 LEDS flash red and green The memory of the AR.Drone has just been erased by pressing
on the Unpair button.
I hope this helps.

Jim

larryoc
Ready for take off

Post by larryoc » 21 Nov 2010, 21:03

"The 4 LEDS flash green The AR.Drone is currently taking off or landing"

This is the point where I do not take off. You mention the LED's are front and rear. My LED's are green on the left side (rear and front), and red on the right side (rear and front). It sounds like my cross section was reinstalled 90 degrees off when I put it together. :oops: But would this cause it not to lift off? I get "User Waring" message on ipod after startup.

BMW145
Up and hovering

Post by BMW145 » 21 Nov 2010, 21:20

they back leds are usually red when you fly , it looks like they are wrong connected , try if you are able to change the cables :shock: