Login to disable ads!

Ar.Drone 2.0 reset button to help with some issues

Problems of AR Drone 2.0, Freeflight 2, Flight Recorder GPS, Qgroundcontrol... etc.
matrix961
Strange wobble
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ar.Drone 2.0 reset button to help with some issues

Post by matrix961 » 10 May 2012, 13:24

Been tinkering with the drone to find the cause of some drifting. I noticed that the new drone did seem to drift a bit more for me than the first one. I also noticed some problems with the downward camera. At times it would just go completely green and display a video error on the screen. A restart would fix the issue temporarily.

I figured it was time for a reset since it started getting more buggy with stability etc. I always flat trim before each flight and this wasn't helping with a very noticeable backwards drift. I also have bearings and balanced props.

Performing a reset using the reset button has helped considerably with drifting and especially with the camera acting weird.

Steps taken to reset drone:

Code: Select all

- Find a good flat area to set drone and also be able to launch from. Make sure you have room since after the launch it automatically did a spin calibration in the air. Scared the crap outta me since I wasn't expecting it.
- Set drone down and connect battery but don't strap it in since you need to press the reset button underneath where the battery sits. You need something long for this. A stretched out paperclip will do.
- With the battery plugged in just sitting on top stick the object down into the reset hole and press the reset button. As soon as you let go the motor LEDs will turn red then go off. As soon as they go off unplug the battery, be quick about it.
- Install battery as you normally would for a flight, plug it in and install your hull. Let it fully start, I just wait about 30 seconds before connecting.
- Connect to drone, the wifi name will be reset if you set a custom name, pairing will also be off.
- Launch app then go directly into settings, hit reset defaults and do a flat trim, wait about 5 seconds then go to flight screen and launch drone.
- Once drone launches it may do a spin calibration. This is what it did for me on 3 separate tries using these steps. I did it 3 times to make sure it was consistent etc. It just needs to be done once tho.
I've had about 5 flights so far with no downward camera issues or major drifting issues. I'll continue to test as always. If you are experiencing problems like this give it a try and see if it helps. It's also always a good idea to wait to plug the battery in until you have the drone set down at it's launch location (flat surface). After a flat trim don't touch, it's ready to launch.

UPDATE 5/11/12: This also fixed an altitude drop issue I experienced as well.