Apple AppStore pulls AR.FreeFlight 2.0

Read the latest news and announcements.
AR.Tommy
Charged up again
Drone Type: Bebop

Re: Apple AppStore pulls AR.FreeFlight 2.0

Post by AR.Tommy » 22 Mar 2013, 10:52

Melmanc, you are right. I have overlooked that word.
http://www.digitalsirup.com

Sweet and delicious apps for your drones.

mf25053
Just flips over
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by mf25053 » 22 Mar 2013, 12:52

pbody2013 wrote:
mf25053 wrote:
pbody2013 wrote:Yea well wait until a customer goes to get Freeflight and sees it's the 1.0 version for iphone 3G or touch 2G. They should be advising customers of this before they buy. I'd be pissed if that's what I found when I went to the App store, especially when the box list Free Flight 2.0.
I agree with you there. It is VERY annoying, for reasons I'm not even going to get into.

However I'm 100% positive it will get resolved. Apple has too much time and money tied up in the Drone and other Parrot products to cut ties like this.

Thankfully folks like Tommy have affordable and reliable alternatives to FreeFlight 2.0. Hopefully what ever got Apple's panties in a bunch doesn't filter down to those apps as well.
Actually I don't think 1.0 will even work with V2 Drone. I downloaded AR Hunter and AR Race to try them. They don't work because they won't output video, So for Parrot to put that on the box is misleading and apple is being no better in this regard. I'm no legal eagle but I'd say this verges on,if not outright false advertising. More so on apples' part in my opinion because they pulled the Free Flight that works and are directing customers to the app that won't work well if at all. Not cool. Good for Tommy and other 3rd party suppliers perhaps. Drone Control is far better anyway.

Any official Parrot apps that have a 2 at the end of them will work with either the drone 1 or 2.

I know the original freeflight works with the drone 2, just no video... can't remember if I bothered trying any of the other apps though.

AKCobra
Charged up again
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Post by AKCobra » 22 Mar 2013, 12:59

I think Parrott should just pay AR.Tommy of pile of cash to offer his free for a while until this is resolved. Especially since his is better than there is anyway...

lesodell
Chased the cat

Post by lesodell » 22 Mar 2013, 13:09

Tommy thanks for the reply , i do use dc but i have the RC mod and dc wouldnt connect but ff would but u did a update and i havent tryed it yet ,i like some of the stuff hchd has but i need the bigger picture to see things better , how about anyone else would you like dchd to have fulll screen video ?

AR.Tommy
Charged up again

Post by AR.Tommy » 22 Mar 2013, 18:21

Lesodell, if you have connecting issues better drop me an email or use the Drone Control HD thread. The update to 2.4.1 for Drone Control HD is not yet in the store but it should be available soon.
http://www.digitalsirup.com

Sweet and delicious apps for your drones.

pbody2013
Serious flight time

Post by pbody2013 » 22 Mar 2013, 19:31

Any official Parrot apps that have a 2 at the end of them will work with either the drone 1 or 2.

I know the original freeflight works with the drone 2, just no video... can't remember if I bothered trying any of the other apps though.[/quote]

That is true, but who want's to fly their new V2 without video, what's the point? AR Hunter and AR Flying Ace are no go's with the V2, I've tired them. Parrot shouldn't even have them on the box. That leaves AR Rescue 2 and Ar Race 2 both ineffective for just flying,have those as well. So in effect now the V2 is useless with Parrots apps. I think they should credit people the cost of Drone Control or another pay app as new owners won't have much choice if they want to fly at all. Crappy all around on Parrots part,not that I fly with any of their apps since I have Drone Control.
"It seems to be flying alright, but it's making a funny noise"

Salival
Ready for take off

Post by Salival » 22 Mar 2013, 21:48

Salival wrote:Its my opinion, but I think the app got pulled pretty soon after this: Drone at NYC airport, (same week app got pulled) - http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/03/06 ... k-airport/

This incident sparked a large scale FBI investigation to identify the drone.

Mind you, this was obviously not an AR Drone, but there was hundreds of news stories after about hobby drones becoming popular and cheap. https://www.google.com/news?&q=drone+ai ... lish&hl=en

Just a theory.
I'm still thinking it has something to do with this. Maybe once they identify the drone as not an AR Drone the app will be back. Though, to counter my own point, here in Canada, I believe the max legal altitude for hobby planes is 400 ft, probably similar in the US, and the Free Flight App only allows for 100M (328ft) max altitude.

pbody2013
Serious flight time

Post by pbody2013 » 22 Mar 2013, 22:34

I can't see the RCMP showing up anytime soon at my door. Problem with this whole scenario is know one seems to know what drone it was. Unless the pilot does know and has given the info to authorities. 1500 ft under control with a Parrot? I may be wrong but I think any drone owner capable of that would be a responsible flyer. Of course any idiot can buy a drone and use a wifi extender or RC kit with it. Still could be unintentional for a responsible flyer as an updraft could grab it. Maybe the authorities should also target the birds flying at he height,just in case you know.

ScubaSteve
I've been hit!!

Post by ScubaSteve » 22 Mar 2013, 23:25

1500ft you say ;)
http://www.dronetec.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; << QuadMod RC Control for your Drone
http://www.facebook.com/dronetecgb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; << Like Us on Facebook

pbody2013
Serious flight time

Post by pbody2013 » 23 Mar 2013, 05:39

ScubaSteve wrote:1500ft you say ;)

Damn and here I thought you were a "responsible" flyer, Is this your plan to get everyone on full RC? :lol:

Salival
Ready for take off

Post by Salival » 28 Mar 2013, 19:42

So they updated AR Race today and added all the Free Flight functionality to it.

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 28 Mar 2013, 20:10

Since no other Drone Apps have been pulled, then it cant be the recent news events with small drones.

Perhaps Parrot was gathering data when the app was running that violated terms.
DroneMod.com --- Worlds first two-drone system: Repeater-Helper and Camera-Worker drones ! --- http://www.REDbirdRF.com

Grendelprime
Ready for take off

Post by Grendelprime » 29 Mar 2013, 18:25

I recently read that they took FreeFlight 2.0 down because of a patent infringement re:Absolute Control. I don't believe Absolute Control was moved over to AR Race 2.

And, looking at Parrot's site, they have removed all mention of Absolute Control except to say they removed it from AR Race 2:
http://blog.parrot.com/2013/03/28/ar-race-2-update/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pbody2013
Serious flight time

Post by pbody2013 » 29 Mar 2013, 23:58

Grendelprime wrote:I recently read that they took FreeFlight 2.0 down because of a patent infringement re:Absolute Control. I don't believe Absolute Control was moved over to AR Race 2.

And, looking at Parrot's site, they have removed all mention of Absolute Control except to say they removed it from AR Race 2:
http://blog.parrot.com/2013/03/28/ar-race-2-update/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That may well be, there's no Absolute Control on the updated AR RAce 2. Just standard Joystick control. Equivalent to type 3 on Drone Control. I wonder if they will do the same with AR Rescue 2.

sibartlett
Ready for take off

Post by sibartlett » 10 Apr 2013, 13:03

Parrot have finally made an official statement... http://blog.parrot.com/2013/04/08/state ... s-devices/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;