New Build - TBS Discovery :)

Other discussion of non-Parrot drones. 3drobotics, DJI, Team Black Sheep, QAV250, DIY drones... etc.
DaZa
I've been hit!!
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Re: New Build - TBS Discovery :)

Post by DaZa » 03 Nov 2013, 00:26

appelm wrote:What are they made of? I have a need for something like that.. Any colors other than pink??? :)
LOL pink is all I had at the time.

It's made from one of those novely bendy straws. Just heat with a hairdryer to bend but any clear plastic tube thick enough will do it.

DaZa
I've been hit!!

Post by DaZa » 05 Nov 2013, 09:00

Just ordered this.

ImmersionRC EzUHF 433Mhz UHF TX and 8ch diversity RX combo.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... cts_id=926

Good value and cheaper than local here in AU.

DaZa
I've been hit!!

Post by DaZa » 10 Nov 2013, 10:02

With the crappy wind and weather I decided to do a rebuild of my TBS Discovery.

Had a spare bottom plate with no TBS core, not using the core so it's just added weight and sucks battery capacity. Trying to cut down on as much weight as possible.

Put 4 new ESC's in I had as spares, will keep the old ones as backups. 12v 4.5A UBEC onboard to power the accessories.

Moved the battery bulkhead spacers forward to give me more battery room and shift it forward about an inch for better weight distribution. Also moved all the wiring as far forward as possible. DJI seem to love giving you lots of cable and massive connectors.

Trying to bring the COG forward a bit with the big 5000mah 4S batteries I'm using they make it a$$ heavy.

Neatening up the wiring layout and moving all the excess cabling as far forward as well to help with that COG. Hopefully moving everything forward is going to help on flight times and handling overall.

Shaft
Charged up again
Drone Type: Jumping Sumo

Post by Shaft » 10 Nov 2013, 10:49

It's enjoyable getting everything laid out well and longing neat like that...
I'm flying through Melbourne tomorrow on the way to NZ, shame about your weather because I'm stuck at the airport for six hours in between flights. It would have been good to catch up but the Disco is stripped down now and wrapped snugly in my carry on case.

DaZa
I've been hit!!

Post by DaZa » 10 Nov 2013, 13:32

Shaft wrote:It's enjoyable getting everything laid out well and longing neat like that...
I'm flying through Melbourne tomorrow on the way to NZ, shame about your weather because I'm stuck at the airport for six hours in between flights. It would have been good to catch up but the Disco is stripped down now and wrapped snugly in my carry on case.
Dude if you want to kill a few hours, jump in a cab and come into the city... Carlton and we can catch up.

Will PM you my mobile... SMS me if your bored :)

Shaft
Charged up again

Post by Shaft » 10 Nov 2013, 15:53

DaZa wrote:
Shaft wrote:It's enjoyable getting everything laid out well and longing neat like that...
Dude if you want to kill a few hours, jump in a cab and come into the city... Carlton and we can catch up.

Will PM you my mobile... SMS me if your bored :)
Thanks DaZa, I will give you a call when I land and see how your work load is.

DaZa
I've been hit!!

Post by DaZa » 11 Nov 2013, 13:45

Well it's arrived. :)

Hooked it up, binding was easy to the EzUHF TX and set the failsafes again and recalibrated my radio settings.

Tomorrow I'll work on mounting the TX to my Futaba 8J radio and wire up the power harness from the 3S 2500mah Nanotech lipo I have to power them all. The Nanotech fits in the 8J battery compartment (with a little internal mods).

Should be back airborne tomorrow!

DaZa
I've been hit!!

Post by DaZa » 12 Nov 2013, 13:55

And the TBS Discovery rebuild is complete. EzUHF long range receiver fitted and configured. All electronics are mounted as far up front as possible and the battery moved forward 1 inch for better weight distribution.

EzUHF transmitted fitted to my Futaba 8J radio complete with 3S 2500mah lipo powering both. I've fitted a 5/6v UBEC inside the batter tray as well to step down the 3S lipo for the Futaba 8J.

FPV ground station case completed and ready to go.

Final weight is 1845g but I have lipo's arriving that are about 115g lighter than these ones so that will improve the flight time which I've calculated at around 12 minutes.

Now if only the weather in Melbourne would improve!!!

Maverick107
Technical flight skills

Post by Maverick107 » 12 Nov 2013, 15:05

Very nice setup Daz!

appelm
Batterys getting low

Post by appelm » 12 Nov 2013, 23:18

yea.. looking very nice! You'll need some 1.3 gear to keep up with your UHF now.. it never ends :)

oh ad btw, you know what cleans up wiring more than anything?? Take out your Naza and put in a CC3D.. the wiring is so much more simple..

DaZa
I've been hit!!

Post by DaZa » 12 Nov 2013, 23:49

appelm wrote:yea.. looking very nice! You'll need some 1.3 gear to keep up with your UHF now.. it never ends :)

oh ad btw, you know what cleans up wiring more than anything?? Take out your Naza and put in a CC3D.. the wiring is so much more simple..
Yep that's the next logical step, but I'll stick with 5.8Ghz for bit longer I think. I'm happy to do 1-2km range, what I'm looking for is not balls out distance performance but solid solid reliability.

Amazing how many people try to talk you into a CC3D :)

When it can do what my Naza can do, then I'll switch :)

marcus621000
Batterys getting low

Post by marcus621000 » 13 Nov 2013, 07:40

Agreed :|

DaZa
I've been hit!!

Post by DaZa » 13 Nov 2013, 13:29

Painted my EzUHF custom UHF antenna's fluro yellow.

Looks good I think :)

AKCobra
Charged up again

Post by AKCobra » 13 Nov 2013, 15:40

It's a work of art Daza, love it! I thought you were going to go over to 1.3 for the garage flying though?

DaZa
I've been hit!!

Post by DaZa » 13 Nov 2013, 22:24

Eventually I'll go 1.2Ghz AK.

Good thing is its all modular so I can always replace TX's and a RX and swap em out.

I needed to go UHF for control first though, no point in trying to run 2.4Ghz anymore :)