New Build - TBS Discovery :)

Other discussion of non-Parrot drones. 3drobotics, DJI, Team Black Sheep, QAV250, DIY drones... etc.
DaZa
I've been hit!!
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Re: New Build - TBS Discovery :)

Post by DaZa » 20 Sep 2013, 06:28

Finally got round to obtaining a travel case for the Disco. Got holidays coming up end of next month and will be flying up north and spending 6 days at a resort that backs onto 5km of pristine beach :)

So I've got plenty of FPV flying to do, going to be flying so needed a case I can put everything into.

Settled on a Pelican 1610 case with wheels and foam. I've got a tool organiser coming for inside the lid then it shall be complete.

2 chargers sit in the lower level under the Disco, I've got room to add 2 more lipo packs in there next to the other 3 and 1 onboard so that's 6 it can carry.

appelm
Batterys getting low

Post by appelm » 20 Sep 2013, 11:45

Sweet case. Nice job with the foam cutting.

DaZa
I've been hit!!

Post by DaZa » 20 Sep 2013, 12:59

Cheers, bit pricey but worth the investment (especially when work pays :lol: )

Fits everything nicely, the tool organiser will be nice and fit all my tools and a few spares as well.

It's not exactly light, lucky I got good baggage allowances, but I'll be removing all the lipo's and posting them up ahead of time and when I head home I'll pop them back in the post. That will take out a few kg :)

Airlines here won't allow any lipo's over 12v and only 2 at that rate and carry-on only so it's easier to just post the suckers a few days ahead of time by road post.

Shaft
Charged up again
Drone Type: Jumping Sumo

Post by Shaft » 20 Sep 2013, 22:35

I love the case and will have to look into something similar for travelling. Great job on the fit out...

DaZa
I've been hit!!

Post by DaZa » 28 Sep 2013, 23:48

Well this morning's FPV session went well Had my own "ferral with a dog" moment this morning down at the park.

Thought I would go down real early, only joggers around that time of morning. Nooooooo a local ferral out on his pushie and his mastiff decide that it's a great idea to ride right past me flying FPV instead of using the path or the 99% of the other park pathways. No he went out of his way to go right past me and let his dog tackle me while I was sitting there goggles on.

Needless to say the Disco came crashing down as I went flying backwards, ripped off my goggles to find the ferral riding past me calling his dog. Naturally I told him exactly what I thought of him and to put his dog on a lead as it was illegal. He tried to make the excuse it's early Sunday morning, and I should call the cops if I want. Told him they would be the least of his problems in a minute, what a moron. He was told not so politely to keep going on his bike.

Luckily not so much damage, just one broken F450 arm. Didn't even snap the MongrelGear BirdDog CF props :)

F4%king irresponsible dog owners!!!!

DaZa
I've been hit!!

Post by DaZa » 29 Sep 2013, 01:23

The aftermath....

AKCobra
Charged up again

Post by AKCobra » 29 Sep 2013, 09:49

Some people can be real asshats. You should have taken him to judge Judy :)

DaZa
I've been hit!!

Post by DaZa » 29 Sep 2013, 13:06

AKCobra wrote:Some people can be real asshats. You should have taken him to judge Judy :)
Firm believer in an eye for an eye :)

Who needs judge judy, asshat would have been walkin home with his bike seat firmly implanted up his backside if he had of not kept going :twisted:

Shaft
Charged up again

Post by Shaft » 29 Sep 2013, 15:50

That's scary stuff DaZa, sorry that sh:t happened to you mate, not nice :evil:

DaZa
I've been hit!!

Post by DaZa » 29 Sep 2013, 23:09

Shaft wrote:That's scary stuff DaZa, sorry that sh:t happened to you mate, not nice :evil:
Can happen to anyone unfortunately.

It's made me re-assess my FPV flying.. need to find somewhere out of the way with sufficient obstacles to make it worth flying.

AKCobra
Charged up again

Post by AKCobra » 30 Sep 2013, 14:13

No matter how out of the way you think you are people will still happen by. I just bring the quad back so I can see then whenever I hear somebody approaching. I doubt I could get it back fast enough to see a dog tackling me though.

DaZa
I've been hit!!

Post by DaZa » 30 Sep 2013, 14:17

AKCobra wrote:No matter how out of the way you think you are people will still happen by. I just bring the quad back so I can see then whenever I hear somebody approaching. I doubt I could get it back fast enough to see a dog tackling me though.
I do the same thing, but no I had no chance. If you look really carefully at the video, just as I yaw around right before it crashes if you freeze it and watch frame by frame you can see the dog running at me in the distance and by the look of the video he was certainly in a hurry to say hi!

DaZa
I've been hit!!

Post by DaZa » 01 Nov 2013, 13:20

A new idea for a RX antenna mount for my TBS Discovery.

Foldable for the travel case or in the event of a crash and keeps them out of the way of the props.

Shaft
Charged up again

Post by Shaft » 02 Nov 2013, 08:29

I like the antenna mod, good idea to have it capable of folding down...

appelm
Batterys getting low

Post by appelm » 02 Nov 2013, 19:03

What are they made of? I have a need for something like that.. Any colors other than pink??? :)